Issues after CPS change?

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
My truck has had a slight shudder at around 2400 RPM. It runs great other than that. I decided to go ahead and replace the CPS. Swapped em out yesterday and the truck fired right up. I didn't test drive it yesterday. Got in the morning to go to work and it's running like chit. Fires up fine but it sounds like the valves are chattering. I drove it about 10 miles this morning. I loosened the CPS and retightened it. Made sure the plug was connected. Tried it again with no luck.

I'll let yall know what the codes say.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
There has been cps' bad out of the box. I've had one from Ford be bad. I'd try another cps just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I wondered the same thing. I figured if it was a dude the truck wouldn't even fire up.

Jomax

Reaction score
I wondered the same thing. I figured if it was a dude the truck wouldn't even fire up.

There's still a chance. 25bucks doesn't hurt to try again. At least you'll now have 2 good cps' lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Limited lifetime warranty at Advanced. I'll be swapping it out today.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
It's got to be the CPS. I can't see anything breaking while it sat over night. Lol

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
good luck with that one.. what is it supposed to do when loosening and tightening? it has a steel grommet that only allows it to get so tight... you need shims if you are trying to make an adjustment.. if i remember correctly, the bwd is the same size as the original black cps so you are more than likely way to close to the cam gear or could be playing wac-a-mole with the cps with cam walk....

live life full throttle

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
its slso known that the bwd picks up a lot of interference with the wiper motor.. add another ground or 2 from the wiper motor.

live life full throttle

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
It seemed like it had some play in it side to side. Figured I'd see if there was something I did wrong when installing it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It seemed like it had some play in it side to side. Figured I'd see if there was something I did wrong when installing it.

what part had play in it? the o-ring should hold it snug.. the clamp might have some slop though.

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
just a fyi, when i was having cam gear walk issues, i could set the timing with shims under the cps.. i could have it running smooth as butter at idle and run like dog chit on top end or i could have it idle like chit and run like a rapped ape on top end.. lol.. if you had a original black it should be relatively close but if you had recall gray or the like, then i would get the calipers out and measure the old one vs the new one and see how close they are.. the tolerance is ideal at .02(i think that is what pontiacross told me) of an inch from the tone ring to the tip of the cps...

look of my threads on it.. and read all the info.. i think .008 of an inch or less is how much the cam is allowed to move before it is out of spec.. my cam gear was walking over twice that...

live life full throttle

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
That's how my truck is. Idles great runs like chit when driving. I have a black spare in my glove box. The Grey is what I was running before swapping to the Advance.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Have you tried a ford cps yet? Cam walk is way more common in a rebuilt engine then in a factory build even if it has a bunch of miles.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Haven't messed with the CPS on this truck yet until this week. It's a compete reman from Black Water engines. Has about 30k miles on it.

I'm going to swap out this current CPS until I get one that works or shimmed to work and then I'm going to buy a Ford CPS.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.