Living in Wyoming

bricewise

Reaction score
So wife and I have an opportunity to move to Gillette, WY. Anybody have any thoughts on this place? It looks like there was at some point a fair bit of crime due to it being a boom town? Still the case?

Originally from Texas (so rural isn't that big of an issue) and living currently in Wisconsin (so cold isn't an issue)

Or hell any thoughts on living in Wyoming in general. If Gillette isn't the place to be in Wyoming. Where is?

Jbenso127

Reaction score
I worked in rawlins (about 3-4 hours south of Gillette) for about 6 months and I absolutely hated it. I visited rock springs, Casper, Laramie, and Cheyenne.. I wasn't really fond of anywhere I went. Seemed like a lot of druggies and just nothing really to do. Now, being I was only there 6 months, I didn't see as much of some other might have, but from what I did see, I would never move to any of the towns/cities in Wyoming, that I visited, unless it was a job opportunity I absolutely couldn't refuse.

bricewise

Reaction score
Not the first time I've heard that appears to be a lot of druggies there. Continues to make me leery.

Jbenso127

Reaction score
I noticed it more in rawlins than anywhere else, but it was pretty bad there. But, then again, I've never been to Gillette... Could be small town USA lol. Hopefully some Wyoming residents will chime in.

montana6.4

Reaction score
I'm sure just like the other boom towns for oil attracts some low life people, but I'm sure there's some nice areas as well. A buddy lives in Cheyenne and he loves it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

WYO7.3

Reaction score
I'm originally from lander wyoming but I have lived in Laramie and Cheyenne. I'm I love wyoming am about to move to lingle to do some farming I agree rawlins, rock springs are know as the assholes of wyoming but Gillette isn't to bad. I have worked in Casper and spend a lot of time in Powell and Cody. Haven't got to spend a lot of time in Gillette but haven't heard much complaining about it I know it's pretty flat and windy out that way.

Jbenso127

Reaction score
I'm originally from lander wyoming but I have lived in Laramie and Cheyenne. I'm I love wyoming am about to move to lingle to do some farming I agree rawlins, rock springs are know as the assholes of wyoming but Gillette isn't to bad. I have worked in Casper and spend a lot of time in Powell and Cody. Haven't got to spend a lot of time in Gillette but haven't heard much complaining about it I know it's pretty flat and windy out that way.

Yes rawlins and rock springs are by far the two worst towns in Wyoming. Saratoga, on the other hand, is one of my favorite towns that I visited when I was in Wyoming and some of the surrounding states.

Radio

Reaction score
I've lived in Gillette for over 6 years now. Its no that bad as long as you work a lot lol. There's not much to do on your days off besides get out of town, but I guess that's the case in any smaller town.

As far as crime goes, I'd say it no more than any other town its size. There area some rough areas of town but there is also a lot of "new". They area building a lot of new houses and stores.

In must say if you like living around a lot of tree's, this is not the place for you. But you don't have to go far at all to get to some. Black Hills and the Big Horns are awesome.

I'm guessing you are asking because of a job offer? If so, what company if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Radio

Reaction score
Also the winters can be harsh. If you don't like the cold you may want to reconsider,

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Buffalo444

Reaction score
I'm in Laramie and I dig it. Nice quiet town, even with the University here. Pretty liberal by Wyoming's standards, but WAY better than Jackson. I'm originally from IL and it beats thaat place by light years. I OC here all the time and don't get given any guff. Not a whole lot to do in Laramie but only about an hour from Fort Collins and Cheyenne where there is a lot of things to do, not to mention there are a lot of things to do as far as outdoors stuff goes in Medicine Bow, which is halfway between Laramie and Cheyenne.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Where you at buffalo? I live on south 10th.

Lots of meth in Rawlings and RR. Lots of pot in Wyoming. Sorta irritating.

Jbenso127

Reaction score
Where you at buffalo? I live on south 10th.

Lots of meth in Rawlings and RR. Lots of pot in Wyoming. Sorta irritating.

Rawlins... Hit the nail on the head... That place is a cesspool of addicts and inbreds. Hated living there, the couple times that I was working in Sinclair.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Did anything come of this thread? Did you move to Gillette? I just rolled into casper today and gunna be starting my job Wednesday. I'm new to Casper and never been here

bricewise

Reaction score
Skipped out on Gillette and moved to Alaska. Opportunity in Alaska was just too great.

Latest posts

Members online