Long crank, hot and cold, burn the truck?

roachie

Reaction score
I'm kinda leaning toward a failing SCT fitting, Stevo says its the Hpop.

Hot or cold it has a 20-30 second crank time.
Letting it sit non running more than 15 minutes, long crank time for you.
Driving down the road, pressure is fine.
Air test on the system with IPR valve closes was not really revealing anything. I could hear a faint noise with a stethoscope near the rear lower portion of the engine.
I think it has the updated branch tubes (they have a spring and ball in them)
Scanner shows nothing out of the ordinary.

ideas?

johnp115

Reaction score
If it was branch tubes/dummy plugs you'd hear it forsure.
Stc fitting may be a little harder to hear

But the cold start is what's making me think it might be a bigger problem than just the stc fitting.

johnp115

Reaction score
Even sitting for 15 minutes the oil is still hot. How does it start first thing in the morning? If it starts fine then, then I would definitely be going after the stc fitting.

And if you have upgraded/reworked injectors also check out the injector o rings...

johnp115

Reaction score
These were my warren injectors after a year and a half. The o rings aren't as strong as factory and they quickly got eaten up. 5/8 were like this and I had a long hot/warm crank time.

9ydu5uqy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lassie

Reaction score
I'm kinda leaning toward a failing SCT fitting, Stevo says its the Hpop.

Hot or cold it has a 20-30 second crank time.
Letting it sit non running more than 15 minutes, long crank time for you.
Driving down the road, pressure is fine.
Air test on the system with IPR valve closes was not really revealing anything. I could hear a faint noise with a stethoscope near the rear lower portion of the engine.
I think it has the updated branch tubes (they have a spring and ball in them)
Scanner shows nothing out of the ordinary.

ideas?

Have you monitored and you know it's low ICP causing the long crank?

roachie

Reaction score
I'm about 80% sure it is. Apparently my tech buddy forgot to look at that when we were chasing the low power issue. I had to take the turbo apart and clean it, seemed like a good time to check the oil system for leaks.

roachie

Reaction score
Update, cleaned turbo, replaced passenger side Stand pipe and dummy plug. Injector seals look good. Still having hard starts. I noticed that the oil pressure switch was grounding out, fixed that and now the engine is tripping the switch at idle. Havent confirmed this with a manual gauge yet.

As I understand the Hpop and the Lpop can be the causes of this?

fordmansteven

Reaction score
my truck has a long crank issue to. I just put new heads, injectors, icp, ipr, and stand pipes. I am not sure about my problem but when I crank it and watch the icp pressure it cranks for a few seconds till it hit about 500 psi then it will start

Lassie

Reaction score
You need to graph ICP during crank. See what your ICP is building to. You need 500 to crank, so if you're over this, you need to look somewhere else for issue. If it's taking a while to reach 500 psi, it's probably HPO related.

Many things could be causing a long crank. I'd start with battery health, cold FICM voltage, and fuel pressure if you don't have a good diagnostic tool.

roachie

Reaction score
Found the issue, HPOP lost the ball that seals the suction side. Taped it for a pipe plug and it's working great.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.