Looking at buying a 6.0 with a blown head gasket

Danny26

Reaction score
Found a local guy selling a 2006 F350 RCLB for $8300. Went to check it out and it was puffing a good amount of white smoke right after starting, after test driving and getting it up to operating temp the smoke started to get a blueish haze to it so I shut it off and checked the degas bottle and it had a decent amount of pressure built up so I am fairly certain that the HG is blown. Plan now is to make a low offer to the guy and fix the truck and have it as a work/beater truck.

My question is, is there anything else I should check? Just want to make sure nothing else is damaged from the HG failure... Truck drove great otherwise.

Here is the craiglist ad: http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/3478429909.html

Here is the vin: 1FTWF31P76ED24063

Any help would be greatly appreciated

imelmo

Reaction score
I paid $6k for my 6.0 although it wasn't 4x4 at the time. Had about the same number of miles but an '03. It ran/runs like a top though.

Danny26

Reaction score
I paid $6k for my 6.0 although it wasn't 4x4 at the time. Had about the same number of miles but an '03. It ran/runs like a top though.

Plan was to pitch the guy like a 4-5k offer, think I should go lower?

imelmo

Reaction score
Plan was to pitch the guy like a 4-5k offer, think I should go lower?

That'd probably be a good offer since it's 3 years newer and 4x4. I wouldn't pay more than about $6500 or so myself. Basically leave enough to where you're only into it for about $8300 including the stud job.

Danny26

Reaction score
Are you planning on doing gaskets yourself or send it to a shop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, have a shop do it, along with an EGR Delete

That'd probably be a good offer since it's 3 years newer and 4x4. I wouldn't pay more than about $6500 or so myself. Basically leave enough to where you're only into it for about $8300 including the stud job.

Thats what I was thinking, if I could come in around 8k for a good working truck I would be happy.

CCRICE

Reaction score
If a shops doing It you have to account for the parts and labor. Plus decking the heads and pressure testing, and valve job if needed..

imelmo

Reaction score
In good condition, Kelly Blue Book lists it at about $13,300. I'd check that against ebay or carquest to see what people are really asking for 'em though.

Danny26

Reaction score
If a shops doing It you have to account for the parts and labor. Plus decking the heads and pressure testing, and valve job if needed..

Yeah, went through all that and more with my 6.4, just wanted to make sure I covered all my bases before making an offer...

Thanks for the advice btw guys!

slc dzl

Reaction score
There is 2006 f250 powerstroke rc/lb xl with 126000
for sale in logan utah for$8200. Its been listed for about two months
so I would guess it would go for less.

webb06

Reaction score
since the egr system is still intact i would like to think that the cooler itself has ruptured rather than having blown headgaskets. if you do get it i would pull the egr cooler and pressure check it and you might get lucky and not have to mess with pulling the heads. you could also pull the egr valve and see if it is wet after running it for a little while. if in fact the egr cooler is bad then you will definitely need to replace the oil cooler as well. anytime an oil cooler starts failing it will wipe out the egr cooler as well.

here's a truck I've got for sale...

http://joplin.craigslist.org/cto/3409837802.html

someone is supposed to be buying it this week though

Danny26

Reaction score
since the egr system is still intact i would like to think that the cooler itself has ruptured rather than having blown headgaskets. if you do get it i would pull the egr cooler and pressure check it and you might get lucky and not have to mess with pulling the heads. you could also pull the egr valve and see if it is wet after running it for a little while. if in fact the egr cooler is bad then you will definitely need to replace the oil cooler as well. anytime an oil cooler starts failing it will wipe out the egr cooler as well.

here's a truck I've got for sale...

http://joplin.craigslist.org/cto/3409837802.html

someone is supposed to be buying it this week though

That would be nice, but the blueish smoke is what made me think HG, but if it was just the cooler that would be awesome. Oil cooler is def gonna get changed...Thanks.

Good point, You might be able to sweet talk him down and get a better deal..

Sounds like a plan :thumbup:

rray37375

Reaction score
That's what happened to my truck, the oil cooler clogged, the EGR cooler failed, but the head gasket was okay. I had four injectors that were going south, so I went the full boat overhaul, replaced all the injectors, had new head gaskets and ARP head studs put in, beefed up Sinister Diesel EGR cooler and Ford oil cooler, the HPOP snap on connector replaced with the improved unit, and assorted other goodies. I think I've exorcised all of the gremlins. EGR delete was not an option as vehicles here are subject to yearly smog tests.

Don't go by Kelly Blue Book, they're low. Ask your bank or credit union for the loan value. I had to refinance my truck to do all of the work, on my 2005 with 140K miles they listed the value at $16,500.

Latest posts

Members online