Looking for build suggestions

RedPowerstroke

Reaction score
I have a 2000 ex cab short bed 4x4. The truck has 200,000 miles on it. I currently have 4" exhaust, AFE intake, SRP1.1 hpop, stock turbo w/ wicked wheel and boost fooler and just switched from DP to Beans tuning. I am not happy with the new tunes, so I'm trying to get that worked out right now. I would like to see 500-550 hp reliably. My plans for the truck are BTS transmission, 250/100 injectors, Irate competiton fuel system, studs/pushrods/valve springs/headwork, either an Irate or Turbonetics T4 mount, and maybe an S467 from Irate. What is everyone's opinion on this setup? I want the truck to have good street manors because it is a daily driver. I also tow with it from time to time. I would like to hear any comments/suggestions.

TARM

Reaction score
You have a pretty good list of parts there, keep the 100% nozzles its all you need. Im making 530 on 80%s and a 66mm

But wouldn't 200s allow him to make it with a higher RPM peak thus lower tq and less CP so less engine stress and more usable power band?

How hot does that 366 get egts to produce that power? I am impressed how much power these smaller turbos comparatively are making. Very cool!!! What kind of boost and drive are you seeing at those levels?

TARM

Reaction score
I figured that was just wondering how hot. I am guessing its running a waste gate? Still its impressive when you take the size of the engine and VE being as low as it is and tuning is rarely spot on for a dyno.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
The logic is sound but from what experience I have with 200%, for the average person who has to buy tuning and doesn't do their own, the tuning is not there (yet) to make a 200% nozzle act like an 80% nozzle at power levels that an 80 can produce, however for all out power yes a 200% nozzle is superior, but then if you're reaching the nozzles maximum capacity you certainly aren't making 500hp and not with a single 66mm. I have had awesome luck with my setup 80% and 66mm and im hesitant to change it but ya know I hate leaving things alone.

Jmo.

TyCorr

Reaction score
The logic is sound but from what experience I have with 200%, for the average person who has to buy tuning and doesn't do their own, the tuning is not there (yet) to make a 200% nozzle act like an 80% nozzle at power levels that an 80 can produce, however for all out power yes a 200% nozzle is superior, but then if you're reaching the nozzles maximum capacity you certainly aren't making 500hp and not with a single 66mm. I have had awesome luck with my setup 80% and 66mm and im hesitant to change it but ya know I hate leaving things alone.

Jmo.

Don't you think that tuning below the max is safer with a 200% nozzle? Let's say two trucks with 450hp max. All things being equal save for one with 250/80 and the other with 250/200. The truck with 200% nozzles needs less pw to achieve the desired work.

Are you saying you agree but aren't sure tuning is done that way?

Matt R seems to love 238/80s so there must be something to the setup. I personally only have experience with stockers and 100% nozzles.

I enjoy injection talk lately.

RedPowerstroke

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. That is one thing I forgot to mention, I would like to have it live tuned once everything is finished so I get the most out of it safely. But that's a good ways off, one piece at a time!

TARM

Reaction score
Don't you think that tuning below the max is safer with a 200% nozzle? Let's say two trucks with 450hp max. All things being equal save for one with 250/80 and the other with 250/200. The truck with 200% nozzles needs less pw to achieve the desired work.

Are you saying you agree but aren't sure tuning is done that way?

Matt R seems to love 238/80s so there must be something to the setup. I personally only have experience with stockers and 100% nozzles.

I enjoy injection talk lately.

The answer would be yes and no as it will all depend how they adjust the tunes to make that 450 HP. For me to offer the least engine stress you want to (with in reason) produce the least amount of tq to produce the power. This gives a broader power curve with lower CP. Of course this takes rpms. So with tuning that fuels as far into the RPMs that the engine setup can safely handle that IMO would offer the best chance for reliability

I think this is nice benefit of larger injectors where you can have a lower power level with less CP as well as broader power band at that level. But I do agree with PJ that the tuning has to be there. I think it is for 200% with a couple tuners via mail but still the ideal of course is live tuning. For 400% not so much yet but this is only from others comments as I have never run that size injector.

As an example: based on the faster injection flow of 200% in theory you can have this.

Take a goal of 500 HP: For a 100% its will take about 1100 tq and then CP it takes. Reason is the fueling of the smaller 100% as tq peak is likely going to be in the 2400-2500 range.

Take a 200% with the faster injection rate because it needs less PW the 500HP can be carried to a much higher RPM and so can the TQ. This means the TQ peak can be much lower as well so much lower CP to go with it. In theory a 875tq @ 3K will get you to 500 around 3300 even further possibly. Depending how the tuning was done that TQ peak could come on early to that point and flat liine out to the point or it could for even lower stress come up gradually to that peak.

But when you get down to those tq numbers these are what are seen with stage II and 450HP setups and many of these engines seem to live very well for long periods of time.

1100 ftlb vs 875 ftlb same 500HP

Anyways something to think about.

Latest posts

Members online