Looking to improve ride quality

superstroked

Reaction score
I am looking to improve the ride quality on my truck to make it ride more like a 1/2 ton. What has or hasn't worked for you in regards to this. I am looking for results of 08-10 trucks. I have the factory Ranchos still on the truck. Would Bilstein shocks make a huge difference or would I be better off with going with a lift that offers front and rear springs ect. Maybe a softer rear spring with airbags to help when towing?? The most I pull is either my boat that is about 7500 or my car hauler that is about the same with cargo.

superstroked

Reaction score
my icon leveling kit on my 11 rode better than factory

so maybe look into a icon leveling kit
Did you change anything else when you did the kit? Like wheels or tires that could have played a roll as well? What shocks did it use?

Last edited:

nickg3130

Reaction score
I'm looking to do this as well. I'm going to swap my 2.5" spacers with icon 2.5" coils. I heard the ride difference is like night and day. Would I have to upgrade my shocks as well though? I also have factory ranchos

TexasA&M

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on Icon springs for the front, and the Firestone R4 Tech kit for the rear. It's probably overkill, but I've been eyeing this system for a year now and am finally ready to pull the trigger. Hopefully I get the same results as a few other folks on this board have.

SAK

Reaction score
The ride quality of the Icon coils is so much better than stock, it uses a progressive coil so it rides soft then the spring rate ramps up as it compresses.

The regular 2.0 shocks are nice, but if you want and even better ride I suggest the piggyback 2.5's.

SAK

Reaction score
What about options for the rear? Remove the overload and add bags?

Removing the overload springs are not going to do anything for the ride, they do not even work until you get a load on the rear end. You could put 11+ rear springs in since they only have 3 leafs and ride better than the 08-10.

Aaron S

Reaction score
To improve the ride of the leafs if your staying below a 4.5 inch lift go with Carli Suspension add a packs. You may have to experiment with the block size to get the truck to have the right stance for you. The add a pack helps to reduce axle wrap as well.

I also agree that Icon front springs give a very soft ride.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
Did you change anything else when you did the kit? Like wheels or tires that could have played a roll as well? What shocks did it use?

when i 1st leveled the truck i left the stock wheels and tires on it

i did the bilstien 5100s up front and put in the icon coils springs and adjustable track bar.

then when my tires wore down 15k later i went to a 35 12 50 20 AT tire and still rode better than stock

Frank_C

Reaction score
I went from stock, to 6" procomp with 2.0 fox shocks and new radius arms, to an Icon leveling kit with 2.5" piggybacks and an adjustable track bar up front and 2.0" smooth bodies with PMF floating traction blocks out back.

The Icon setup was the best riding/driving setup by far. Even when I had 35's on 22's. Then I went to 35" Grabbers on 18's, and it was even better. The rear end did still feel a little stiff though, but it is fantastic overall.

Now I'm about to lower it, and I really am afraid to lose my ride quality lol. I might have to swap spring setups up front a few times. Maybe even take the Icon coils and cut them down, I'm not sure. But the Icon setup amazed me.

nickg3130

Reaction score
I went from stock, to 6" procomp with 2.0 fox shocks and new radius arms, to an Icon leveling kit with 2.5" piggybacks and an adjustable track bar up front and 2.0" smooth bodies with PMF floating traction blocks out back.

The Icon setup was the best riding/driving setup by far. Even when I had 35's on 22's. Then I went to 35" Grabbers on 18's, and it was even better. The rear end did still feel a little stiff though, but it is fantastic overall.

Now I'm about to lower it, and I really am afraid to lose my ride quality lol. I might have to swap spring setups up front a few times. Maybe even take the Icon coils and cut them down. I'm not sure

If you're looking to sell or trade your icon coils let me know.

Latest posts

Members online