losing coolant found small leak

TjMiller

Reaction score
I noticed what looked to be a drop in my coolant level since I changed last year. I lost about 3/4 of an inch in the degas bottle. Filled it up between the lines and now, 2 months later, noticed it down again. I found a small leak at the top radiator hose where it connects to the neck.

I need to now if there is anything to do while I have the coolant out and anything to look for. Any aftermarket/upgraded hoses for our trucks. Do I have to use the hoses with the clips or can I use regular hose clamps?

I plan to do egr and upper hose at least.

MossBack

Reaction score
new hose from ford. My buddies started to leak at the neck and we found out it was the Oring leaking...

TjMiller

Reaction score
Should I do lower(s) also ? Or do guys just replace orings? What about T-stats ? Want to get a parts list together so I can put order in.

gman1

Reaction score
I did upper and lower on both my 6.4,s. They are cheap from site sponsor Sunrise Ford.
I would also do T stats.

webb06

Reaction score
I did upper and lower on both my 6.4,s. They are cheap from site sponsor Sunrise Ford.
I would also do T stats.

Gates makes these hoses also and they're about half price of ford replacements. You don't need to replace the lower hose that connects to the radiator. The lower hose is 2 sections, you just need from engine to pipe. I'd also recommend doing thermostats now, those are only available from ford. If your egr coolers are still on.....goodluck with the thermostats its a major pain! There's a nice YouTube video on how to do it with some tips and tricks.

TjMiller

Reaction score
Gates makes these hoses also and they're about half price of ford replacements. You don't need to replace the lower hose that connects to the radiator. The lower hose is 2 sections, you just need from engine to pipe. I'd also recommend doing thermostats now, those are only available from ford. If your egr coolers are still on.....goodluck with the thermostats its a major pain! There's a nice YouTube video on how to do it with some tips and tricks.

Coolers are coming off. I see the bottom hose is 2 pieces. That hose doesn't leak at the connection to the radiator? Is that an o-ring also?

webb06

Reaction score
Coolers are coming off. I see the bottom hose is 2 pieces. That hose doesn't leak at the connection to the radiator? Is that an o-ring also?

I've never replaced one. And I've replaced a bunch of the other two. It's an oring connection there as well.

6fourstroker

Reaction score
Replace the upper radiator hose that goes directly to the thermostat housing. There is a revised part that has a white end with two o-rings instead of one. $80 hose from the dealer.

gman1

Reaction score

I thought $55 apiece was cheap. Gates sells them cheaper?

T1320T

Reaction score
I just replaced both of my hoses w the updated dual oring style, Gates brand. I also did my tstats, they're Stant brand from Advance Auto. It's an easy job & it's prime time to swap out your coolant.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
3/4" of the degas bottle in 2 months is pretty minor. Hell most fords lose that from new. My 6.7 has been leaking from the plastic rad caps for 3 years lol I top it up once every couple months. Usually down half a jug or so.

TjMiller

Reaction score
3/4" of the degas bottle in 2 months is pretty minor. Hell most fords lose that from new. My 6.7 has been leaking from the plastic rad caps for 3 years lol I top it up once every couple months. Usually down half a jug or so.

Its not that bad but seein as its just a hose its an easy fix for peace of mind. I feel like I am on borrowed time with the egr coolers so really need to get them off. Just need to make some time for this and get it all done.

Thanks all for the responses..

eebiagemilcom

Reaction score
636f86088f563ffa624c8fefd5f82c7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWhite

Reaction score
I think I would get some better style hose clamps for the hoses as well.
After my egr delete I noticed the factory style clamps where not tight enough and letting coolant leak by. You could squeeze them down to make them tighter I just decided to swap them out for better clamps so I didn't have to worry about leaks.

beanz15t

Reaction score
small coolant leak confusing

So I have had this small coolant leak making roughly a 2" diameter puddle overnight only when it's cold.. Crawled under to chase and oddly enough it looks like it's right behind the upper coolant tube.. Here's where I got confused there's no dripping or trail coming from that tube but the bolt head that secures the engine hoist mount to the block is where the trail begins.. Any ideas? I don't wanna go pulling the upper hose off if the oring is still holding up.. I took a pic jus gotta figure out how to up load..

Thanks in advance

beanz15t

Reaction score
It's the hose on the driver side coming from the block to the top of the radiator, I guess the return line.. I jus assumed that was the upper??

webb06

Reaction score
The hose in the picture is the lower hose....that goes from front cover to the radiator. Upper one may be leaking as well. I'd change both while the coolant is drained

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.