Loss of coolant

Twan

Reaction score
I had ARP's new head gaskets installed a year ago, heads where checked and flat, ARP's were installed per ARP's specs. It just started pushing coolant again, but only under full load with trailer and above 25psi boost.
I put a new cap on and it did fine for 1,000 miles before acting up again. My deltas are within 8* pulling. Motor never got hot, put a pressure gauge on the coolant line, but it's under the hood, I seen it as high as 14psi when I stopped to look at it.
Could I have already blown a head gasket again?

Twan

Reaction score
Was all cleaned, got lucky that everything was flat.
When I did the studs my gaskets were still good too.
I need to get a coolant tester to see if it is getting exhaust gas in the coolant.

Twan

Reaction score
My bad, read that wrong.
They used the brass tools. Made sure it was flat, and smooth. Put the heads in a cleaner and used brass to finish them.

loboost

Reaction score
That reads the exhuast right?

Yes. It'll turn one color or the other if exhaust gasses are present in the coolant.

You say the new cap fixed it for 1k miles or so?

sent while driving recklessly

Twan

Reaction score
Yes it did, it's also a auto zone cap, only place open.
I'm going to the ford dealer tomorrow in Decatur, Tx to see if they can test my caps, and get a new one. Got to haul trailers home tomorrow.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
New caps will last about a month with bad head gaskets. It wears them out quick. They advertise pip off at 16 but I've tested some ford ones to 18 psi.. They'll only hold so long.. If your seeing those pressures yiu either have a coolant flow restriction or headgaskets, if your egr is gone.

Twan

Reaction score
I put a pressure gauge on and have yet to see it over 14, I believe. Normal was 10, even after it leaked.
What should be a normal pressure?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Well test the cap, it might be blowing off at 14 and you won't see any higher... As for normal I can't say, everything I've tested was bad. From what I can gather, normal pressure is anything under cap blow off and as long as the pressure fluctuates.

Twan

Reaction score
Thanks man.
I'm hoping it not a head gasket or craked head.
Does ford have a way to test my coolant to see if it has exhaust gas in it?
Or anyone in the Decatur, Tx area?

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
I thought i was still blowing coolant after delete, studs and gaskets. Was getting the same spray on the Degas bottle i was having before the work. Turned out the return hose to the bottles wasn't clamped good.

If your seeing spray thats looks like its from the cap that may be it anyways.

rray37375

Reaction score
I had problems with coolant loss, turned out the degas bottle was cracked on the bottom, you couldn't see it from the top, and it wouldn't leak unless it was under pressure. New bottle and cap less than $100, problem solved.

Twan

Reaction score
I will get a new bottle ordered up, can't hurt. I will check my hoses this morning. Thanks guys.

Last night I put a presser tester on the coolant system, at 16psi my upper radiator hose started to leak, and spit coolant. Reset the hose and system held 16 psi for about a hour

Latest posts