Loss of power and rough shifts. Help Please

akitchin

Reaction score
I really hate to be the new guy that shows up and has a problem for the first post. But i have no other option right now.

I bought a Bone Stock 2006 f250 6.0 lariat fx4 automatic with 161,000 about a week ago. have put almost 300 miles on it so far and the only problem i have had is the gauge cluster and radio will cut out, but the truck drives fine. And this has only happened a couple times, and everything comes right back when the truck is turned off then started again.

On the way home tonight started the truck up and immediately noticed it was iding a little higher than it had been, but not a worrying amount higher. Gauges were out so i couldnt see rpm or anything. Sit for a minute to let trans warm up, but it had been running and driving fine all day, and was only parked for an hour and a half. Shifts into gear hard and is slow taking off. Taking off from the first stop light is a struggle and power is cutting in and out. It will rev a little then stutter, then build rev and stutter. As it picks up speed it runs better, but not as good as it has been. Get home only a couple miles down the road and when i put in reverse it shifts so hard it feels like ive just hit another vehicle. Try to pull into the driveway and it just struggles. Just over half throttle and im barely moving. Put it in park and it is very loud going into park. Shut it off, Pop the hood and it is warm, but still gauges are out, and nothing i do can get them back. I can hear something hissing. The degas bottle is warm and depressurizing, but it is not close to or trying to puke.

I have been searching trying to find something similar to this but havent had any luck. Im sure there is some info out there on this, if someone has experienced this before or could point me in the right direction, or give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Alternator charging? That could explan all the issues, low voltage kills off nneeded stuff like radioand ic to try and get voltage up to run the ficm and pcm.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Probably will need a new cluster. Next time this happens, pull the dash panel away right above the cluster and reach in and wiggle the connector for the cluster, it should kick back down and gauges should come alive. They are roll lock type connectors

akitchin

Reaction score
Update: I checked the alternator today and it's charging fine. Around 13 volts. Both batteries are good and the ficm is right on at 48 volts. Checked every fuse and relay in the truck and only found 1 bad one, and it was for the trailer reverse lights.

The gauges are still mostly out. But it flashed on long enough for me to see a check engine light. So I got a reader and the light was for loss of communication with instrument cluster. Idk what was wrong with the trans last night, but it is fine today. Only did a little driving but it is working fine and has no codes.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Like I said, check the IC connector. The truck goes into limp mode once communication with IC is gone... Explains the hard shifts...

Latest posts

Members online