Low mile 7.3 Knocking.....

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
The truck in question is an Early 99 7.3 (build 01/99). It only has 93,xxx miles on it but is making a knock or clang noise that has me stumped. The truck idles smooth, has no codes, passes a Cylinder contribution and buzz test. It does have an edge tuner on it with EGT probe but that is currently set to stock. It is otherwise bone stock. It has plenty of power and does not smoke at all. It is an automatic transmission which appears original.

My diagnostic so far has included pulling both Valve covers and inspecting the valve train which appears fine. I unplugged each injector and when #5 is unplugged the noise is reduced by %70. I installed another known good injector into #5 but that did not change the noise. Warm compression on #5 is 390 which at my altitude (Denver, CO) is in my opinion very good. glow plug was not damaged in any way. both rock arms look fine and the Push rods are straight, (rolled them on a mirror). The oil is extremely clean. I drained it anyways and It might have a slight amount of metal in it but almost untraceable.

I pulled the trans inspection cover and don't see any damage to the flywheel and the torque converter bolts are tight. I have heard trucks with broken flex plates and this one does not sound like that. it is a very specific ping, ping, ping, ect. I have also heard the early 99 Torque converter noise and this is not that. The noise almost seems louder when cold. You can hear it at idle. If you get on the truck hard the engine noise drowns out the knock but once coasting you can hear it again.

Now the back story This truck was bought from a dealer that sent it out to another local shop. They replaced the #8 injector because they said it had a standard AD injector and not an AE. However they did not mention any such noise. They supposedly put in a OE Ford Injector. When the truck got to me I did notice the glow plug relay had been replaced with a starter solenoid so I disconnected it for the time being during my troubleshooting. I've seen this relay mixup before and actually had one truck fry the glow plug control circuit in the pcm because of it, hence why i disconnected it.

The one thing I find odd is that by the build date (01/99) it is an early 99 and it does have the small track bar bolts and steering box but the engine is not an early 99. It has an air intake heater, the bigger turbo, 3" plenums and AD injectors. The valve cover states the engine was built in Jan 21, 1999 and I verified it is a forged rod engine. It shows no signs of recently being out but it's just odd.

Also Unfortunately I have a strict time deadline. My customer has 24hrs to return the truck to the dealer for a refund. He would like to keep it since it took 3 mouths to find it but not if it needs an engine.

I guess my question is where else should I look before I condemn this engine? Rod knock? (doesn't sound that loud). Wrist pin? Broken piston skirt?

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
I am reassembling the truck now so I can get a video. I was under the impression anything before mid march of 99 is an early 99 and after that was a late 99 but maybe that's just pertaining to the suspension. I've just never seen one that was half and half but all my experience is on 98' build trucks.

Arisley

Reaction score
What Petro said. However, early to regular '99 was not something that they did all at once. It changed as they used up the E99 parts. You will find the odd E99 stuff on some trucks built in January. Most all of it was changed by Dec. of '98.

My truck was built May of '98, it's so early it's almost an OBS.

I would double check the flexplate. The only way to be sure is to slide the trans back and unbolt the flexplate. The normal spot for them to crack in right through the bolt circle bolting the flexplate to the crankshaft. Unbolt the torque converter and see how buch back and forth you have, if there is two much (I seem to remember 1/2" being max) movement, you need to use washers spacers between the flexplate and torque converter.

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
th_VID_20151102_120344511_zpsbab4xyx4.png

here is the first video. Ive been communicating with SWAMPS and they said they had an identical noise in a truck that turned out to be a wrist pin bushing with some play. After further probing with my stethoscope the noise is loudest on the water jacket on #5. So its looking like i have the same issue. the noise also quiets down significantly as the engine warms up.

Just want to say big thank you to Dave at swamps he has helped me in the past and is a fantastic guy!

Last edited:

mandkole

Reaction score
it sounds like you may have identified the right cyl. have you tried to disable any other injector (#3 perhaps) to see if the noise stays?

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
I disabled each injector one by one and listened to the difference. #5 is the only one that affects the noise.

mandkole

Reaction score
gotcha.. the diagnosis makes sense with the combustion load removed. Bummer for it being a low mileage engine.

Out of curiosity, does the rest of the truck seem like it has less than 100K?

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
Yep the rest of the truck definitely looks like a 100k truck. Its extremely clean. Zero rust never wrecked. clean oasis report. Clean car fax. interior is spotless. Its a shame unfortunately.

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
If we had time I would but unfortunately this has to be solved in 24hrs or less to either keep it or send it back to the dealer and keep looking for a truck

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.