Low pressure oil issue

JGman141

Reaction score
Have a buddy that has a 2001 7.3 with 262k, we have replaced orings on the injectors, t500 hpop, icp, and ipr. Once it gets above 80 degrees oil temp it will not restart. If I bring it all the way to operating temp it will only build 4-5 psi hpop with ipr at 65% when trying to restart. When running it has low power at operating temp but still runs until it is shut off. Operating oil temp is 196 degrees, the hpop revisor is also 3/4 in from the top and it is full of oil. We have switch from 5w40 to 15w40 and the thicker oil did help with cold starts. Any help/ suggestions are welcome.

JGman141

Reaction score
We have and when at temp it's measures 0, but if the plug is out it will spit a lot of oil out while cranking.

JGman141

Reaction score
But if it's cold and we start it, it can run and drive for hours. The dummy gauge never drops but it does have low power. Also when it does get to temp the ipr is around 14%, seems alittle high for idle.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You need to look at lpo first and alone. You're focusing on things that may point to a certain issue but as Andy said you need to get lpo checked with a mechanical gauge and then move on to the hpo system if its still not right.

JGman141

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, we will pull the lpo gears hopefully this weekend and put in a new melling set.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Dont ***k up the crankshaft snout!! Don't ask why that is so critical to me lol.

JGman141

Reaction score
Swapped the pump today, the old one is very beat up and there were no grooves. Started up a lot better but still have the same issue when warm. Any idea's?

psduser1

Reaction score
If you have pressure with cold oil, and zero pressure at operating temps, you'll need bearings. No amount of pump will keep up. Sorry.

Arisley

Reaction score
Possible. Either way, it is time to pull the motor and pull it apart. If I went to the hassle of pulling the motor, I would and least pull the main and rod caps and check bearings and clearances.

Latest posts

Members online