MAF question

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
There have been two types of MAF sensors. One uses a two wire connector the other a 5(7??) wire connector. This might be the difference in your readings compared to mine.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
The tuning of and use of sensors on the 6.0's has been all over the place to say the least since day 1. If you look at other 6.0's you may notice they don't even have a MAF sensor. I have asked lots of Ford engineers why some do and why some don't and I never have got a straight answer. Its not an early build vs late build because I have seen an early 04 that had a MAF. Its to do with emissions but its kind of like the early 6.0 EBP delete after thought.

Blabing aside, generally there is specs for MAF koeo, idle, 35 and 55 mph. Since I can't get into my info tonight (ford being a pita) I cannot supply you with the specs. However as airflow changes, the reading will change. I'm not saying you have a problem because I've never had to screw with MAF on a 6.0 but I can give you the specs tomorrow to see where they should be. Is the truck stock? tuning?

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Considering there are two styles that Ford used as a MAF your readings don't match mine. I have the traditional MAF (not the IAT sensor) and read 100+g/s while driving.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
mine is a 6 wire but shouldnt the reading still be the same?

A 4 wire sensor is just a MAF reading
A 6 wire sensor is a MAF and an IAT in one.

When A 4 wire sensor is used, the IAT will be placed somewhere seperately.

Don't be fooled by the number of wires at the actual sensor, there could be 6 but 2 of them might not go anywhere!

From the refrences for an 2005 f350 6.0 are
Key On Engine Off 0.4v
Idle 1.36v
High idle 2.65v

I know you're looking at flow rates in g/s but its not listed. The voltages should be close to that. I said that there would be values for 35 and 55 mph but in diesels there are not. So this would make me think that reall the mass air flow sensor is probably only used at closed throttle. Fuel calculations would be based off of MAP, RPM etc not MAF. This is because in a turbo/ supercharged vehicle the MAF is inaccurate under boost. New ecoboost engines don't use MAF either.

Latest posts

Members online