Manifold blankets/coating with stock turbo

JD3020

Reaction score
Has anybody done testing on a stock turbo truck between coated/uncoated hot parts? Currently building the engine for my F-450, its a ZF-6 with 4.88's. For the time being its relatively stock, but i'd like to get it into a true 3-350hp towrig with 4.30's. And being a manual i want it to come back on boost pretty quick. Blankets for the manifolds, up-pipes, and turbine housing would run me $300ish. I imagine getting it all ceramic coated will be in the $4-500 range. Not sure if i'd see noticeable gains on a stock turbo, or if i'd be pissing away money.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
38r it and rock on man.. quickest spooling drop in you can get.. but i honestly dont know if ceramic coating a stocker would be worth it..

live life full throttle

JD3020

Reaction score
LOL I wouldn't mind a 38r but i'm not gonna spend $1300 on a turbo that isn't rebuild-able when i could go T4/S366 for the same cost. But for now this truck will be staying pretty stock-ish, i've got a T4 mount and 467 here for my OBS so all extra funds will be going into that.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
LOL I wouldn't mind a 38r but i'm not gonna spend $1300 on a turbo that isn't rebuild-able when i could go T4/S366 for the same cost. But for now this truck will be staying pretty stock-ish, i've got a T4 mount and 467 here for my OBS so all extra funds will be going into that.
lol... how many 38r's do you know of that got trashed let alone at 350hp? and it will still spool faster then a 366

live life full throttle

Jomax

Reaction score
Put a ported housing on that stocker. You'd be surprised.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bruce

Reaction score
Spend 400 on a ported housing? ww2 and a 1.0 exhaust housing. Take the coating money and buy a good set up up pipe

Jomax

Reaction score
Spend 400 on a ported housing? ww2 and a 1.0 exhaust housing. Take the coating money and buy a good set up up pipe

I'd take a ported housing over the ww2. I've ran both... Plus I have no worry about the turbo being unbalenced.

Jomax

Reaction score
lol... how many 38r's do you know of that got trashed let alone at 350hp? and it will still spool faster then a 366

live life full throttle

Alot of people hating on the 38r recently... oh well... i still love mine.

BS Hauler

Reaction score
I wish someone would just answer the original question. Is it worth using a heat blanket on a stock turbo and a mostly stock truck. I have a 02 6spd that I pull a horse trailer with and have thought about doing this but wondered if it was worth it.

Jomax

Reaction score
I doubt you'd notice any difference. There's is a cool factor to it, but that's about it.

pullandpray

Reaction score
I wish someone would just answer the original question. Is it worth using a heat blanket on a stock turbo and a mostly stock truck. I have a 02 6spd that I pull a horse trailer with and have thought about doing this but wondered if it was worth it.

Everyone was trying to talk him out of it. I think the question got answered. It's a waste of money IMO, in theory it would work by keeping heat in the pipes and helping the air flow, but you won't notice it with that small of a charger, I think banks made a housing with a smaller A/R just get that if you want quicker spool up

JD3020

Reaction score
So general consensus is to not coat/wrap anything with the stock turbo, which is about what i figured when i started thinking about it.

Would i gain anything from a 1.0 housing? With 4.88's on the highway this thing is screaming. And has anybody proven that one of these "WW2"s is better than another? The current wheel is dusted so i'll either throw an OBS wheel in(free), or get a billet wheel.

Latest posts

Members online