Motor Cleaning

SOBX

Reaction score
I have 240,000 miles on my truck and have never once cleaned the engine. The other day, I was poking around under the hood (call it a PMCS) and that sucker is COVERED in oil, grime and dirt. I want sooooo badly to take a pressure washer and 30 cans of Gunk to it,but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I need options, I need direction, I NEED ADVICE! I should have never seen it because it is going to bug the crap outta me until it's clean. Someone help me!

Thanks fellas...

Renegade7.3

Reaction score
simple green. spray it on, let it soak and spray down with water from a hose, and repeat, if its real thick you may need to really get it with a rag or brush.

SOBX

Reaction score
Simple Green WHAAAAT! My truck is going to smell like a post-field problem GI party. I'll give it a shot boss, thanks. Is there anything more powerful? Acid? I'm telling you, I get the feeling like it would be a time saver to just dismantle the thing and run it through a parts washer.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Good luck. Im using an engine stand and putty knife,lol. Wish Ibwould have dunked it in a tank of.boiling water. Greasy ***kin mess! This thing was fairly.clean until 245k miles. Theeeeen all hell broke loose.

Renegade7.3

Reaction score
I buy mine at lowes or home depot in a gallon the concentrated and i dont water it down.

if you have availble im sure you could get a lower pressure power washer and try to be gentle around the electrical connectors

SOBX

Reaction score
Yeah, there are thousands of those stupid electrical connectors under the hood. It seems like it's a cardinal sin to even think about getting them wet. How about flooding it with a water hose?

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Owner's manual shows what to cover up for engine washing. Honestly using a quality de-greaser will do the job but you got to wet, wash, rinse and repeat till it's clean.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Guys I power wash about every diesel engine I work on, powerstrokes, cummins, cats, just dont directy spray the electrical connectors and you will be fine

Mdub707

Reaction score
I used to use simple green on everything, but it didn't work very well under the hood and it's nearly impossible to fully rinse off from what I've read now, even if it looks like it does, and it deteriorates certain components.

I've started using purple power. It works WONDERS. I spray it on everywhere under the hood, let it soak for about 5 minutes, then use a hose with a GENTLE spray and rinse it off. I typically make sure the front end is pointing towards sunlight to help dry everything up quicker when I'm done too. It works excellent. A simple wash with that and maybe a half hour with some armor all wipes and under my hood looked brand new again!

Mdub707

Reaction score
I wondered the same thing, but got the idea from a ton of guys doing it on another forum. Seemed like that's all anyone was using. Just don't let it sit very long.

SOBX

Reaction score
Thanks for the input fellas, I'll stop by O'Reilly's today and pick some up. I guess I'll be at the car wash for a while as I live in an apartment and truck washing is frowned upon lol. As usual, I assume I should wait for it to cool down before adding anything to it?

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Juvenile9

Reaction score
I use a degreaser made by Rose Chemicals. It comes in a 5 gallon bucket. Takes the oil right off everything, even if it's thick. I also use a powerwasher and have had no problems with any electrical issues after washing.

Latest posts

Members online