Motor Hydrolocked

03international

Reaction score
little history on the truck. bought it about 8 months ago with 52,000 miles, came with a EGR delete. where i bought it from they give a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty from MY purchase date with ALOT of fine print to say the least. about 2 months ago the head gaskets went and the oil cooler. had it all done and fixed along with new glow plug harness and STC fittings, new up pipes and a few other odds and ends that needed to be taken care of. got it back it, ran good. i was extremely happy with it. i've had another 6.0 that had problems but i decided to give it one more go. well yesterday on my way home about 2 miles away i made a right hand turn at about 30 mph, dropped a gear and attempted to speed back up to 50. it lost all power and the rpms went crazy, so i popped it in neutral and drifted to the shoulder. shut it off and let it sit. fired it back up and nothing but white smoke. shut it back down. let it sit for 15 mins and decided to try to fire it back up and limp it home. well it didnt fire it locked up. anyway, found out number 2 and 4 injector have bad o rings. but they were replaced when the heads were done:shrug:..... im at loss for words... i love the truck but i cant keep putting thousands of dollars in it every month. im hoping the motor and pistons are ok. rant over.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
little history on the truck. bought it about 8 months ago with 52,000 miles, came with a EGR delete. where i bought it from they give a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty from MY purchase date with ALOT of fine print to say the least. about 2 months ago the head gaskets went and the oil cooler. had it all done and fixed along with new glow plug harness and STC fittings, new up pipes and a few other odds and ends that needed to be taken care of. got it back it, ran good. i was extremely happy with it. i've had another 6.0 that had problems but i decided to give it one more go. well yesterday on my way home about 2 miles away i made a right hand turn at about 30 mph, dropped a gear and attempted to speed back up to 50. it lost all power and the rpms went crazy, so i popped it in neutral and drifted to the shoulder. shut it off and let it sit. fired it back up and nothing but white smoke. shut it back down. let it sit for 15 mins and decided to try to fire it back up and limp it home. well it didnt fire it locked up. anyway, found out number 2 and 4 injector have bad o rings. but they were replaced when the heads were done:shrug:..... im at loss for words... i love the truck but i cant keep putting thousands of dollars in it every month. im hoping the motor and pistons are ok. rant over.

Undoubtedly they screwed up installing the injectors.

Ive seen more people put injectors in a 6.0 and 7.3 and they just dont tighten them enough.

Id say fix your issue and move on.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
they probably were not torqued or the cups were not cleaned. this causing copper failure and therefore hydrolocking

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I've had several blown copper o rings on insufficient torque with a tr as well.

Wojo

Reaction score
im confused tho. you say the truck has a a 5 year 100000 mile warrenty. i would take it in and have it fixed again and be happy. but then you say your sick of putting thousands of dollars in to it monthly. do you not use the warrenty?

Marty

Reaction score
Cody let me know how the O-rings are bad. I usually use OEM CM 5055 Injector O Rings, but I recall using the Victor Reinz ones you supplied. Yours was the first and only time I've used them.

For the record the injectors were torqued with a special snap-on Torx tool to 26 ft/lbs (312 in/lbs). Cups were spotless before installation.

Make sure you call me before re-assembly. A small mistake putting the injectors back in or oil rail back on can cost you more $$ and time.

Latest posts

Members online