Mpg tips?

smokedout250

Reaction score
Okay so I am new to the 6.0. I'm looking on some info on how to get better mileage. Any ideas exhaust intake? I need to not void the warranty as well!

jdgleason

Reaction score
You will want a tuner to maximize stock potential.... You could re gear the truck, and the smaller tires the better.

Mileage has everything to do with the coefficient of drag on the drag. Which includes rolling resistance and surface area of the front of the truck.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I was affraid you would say a tuner, but I believe that voids this pos warranty they gave me! It's all stock at the moment this is a way different animal than a 7.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeehaw

Reaction score
to be honesty i tried all sorts of things with my 6.0 and in the winter best it would ever pull is 14 and that was if it was in the 30s, any below that and it got 12

Karls03

Reaction score
I was affraid you would say a tuner, but I believe that voids this pos warranty they gave me! It's all stock at the moment this is a way different animal than a 7.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I used Edge there was a full page in the instructions about programmers and voiding the warranty, the bottomline was to return it to stock before taking it in for warranty work. Otherwise, you are in a "Did not"/"Did so" battle over whether or not the programmer is to blame for the faulty part. A good tuner shouldn't leave an electronic footprint. I took my 03 in a few times and was never questioned/turned away because I took the Edge out.

As far as a factory warranty goes, if you have a cat-back and drop an injector, the cat back is NOT grounds to not honor the warranty and change the injector. You won't get anything exhaust related covered, but thats all they can deny.

jdc753

Reaction score
I really don't think any mod will truely gain you much if anything for MPG, most all of it is going to come from driving style and conditions with some play on overall mechanical condition of the truck.

I did find a 1.5-2mpg gain on average with my xtreme race file. But my mileage ends up going all over the place anyways, generally I see about 15mpg on average with mostly back roads driving, as I rarely get on the highway and if I do its never more than 80miles, and usually only 20-30.

Karls03

Reaction score
While I have since parted company with Edge, I will say Edge probably saved me a head gasket by defueling below 190*. The safeties are in place to keep throttle happy idiots like me from becoming their own worst enemy! Now that I have "learned" how to drive on a programmer, the SCT works great. At your first opprotunity, get a 4" turbo back with a 3.5" down tube, the throttle response and sound are great!

If nobody has already mentioned it, monitor your EOT vs ECT, you are wanting no more than a 20* split/delta/difference under load. Don't shut down above 400* EGT if you want to keep that turbo. I never liked the turbo timer, the early ones would piss off the computer because the engine was running with the key off.

Latest posts

Members online