Need a SD dual alternator setup

Gearhead

Reaction score
I'm putting a mega inverter on my truck and want to run a second alternator. i currently have a 180 amp unit on there and would like to run a second. does anyone have a complete setup and I was also looking into running an AIC (can't it control to uphold a certain voltage from the alternators?).

I knew there was writeup somewhere but i was looking for a complete kit minus alternator.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I'm putting a mega inverter on my truck and want to run a second alternator. i currently have a 180 amp unit on there and would like to run a second. does anyone have a complete setup and I was also looking into running an AIC (can't it control to uphold a certain voltage from the alternators?).

I knew there was writeup somewhere but i was looking for a complete kit minus alternator.

Color me interested. I was just going to do what I did on the last truck and install the single high amp ambulance alternator, because as I understood it the entire harness for duals was completely different and a PITA to do.

Tom S

Reaction score
I have some hint of a memory that the PCM has some control over the 2nd alternator. The AIC does have a voltage control function.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Matt, I don't know what your plans are, but the setup I had for power at remote jobsites was using two 6v golf card batteries in series for 12v and they were isolated from the main battery system, IOW they only powered the inverter. In a dual setup I was thinking having the second alternator dedicated to charging the battery bank would be a sweet idea since it wouldn't need to be wired into the factory harness. I'm going to think on this some more. I'm also not sure if it will work with a compound turbo setup as the location might conflict.

BTW as far as I can tell with my AIC, the charge minder is just a high idle. The only difference between the charge minder setting and PTO is the readout is in volts instead of RPM. If thats wrong I'd be interested in the details.

Last edited:

Gearhead

Reaction score
i need 325 amps on a constant basis and surges of 375 or so out of my alternators for what i'm planning.

Big Bore

Reaction score
i need 325 amps on a constant basis and surges of 375 or so out of my alternators for what i'm planning.

4500W? are you using your truck to temporarily power your house? LOL

Sounds cool whatever it is. Care to share?

I would surge around 3500W on the jobsite if the compressor was running at the same time as a worm drive, but it was intermittent.

El chupacabra

Reaction score
I have been wanting to do a dual setup and like you said isolate it to a separate bank of batteries also volt it to.16 volts to run my linear amp for my cb it draw 180 amps so it can kill battery fast wondering where to get the brackets and what parts.are involved

El chupacabra

Reaction score
This setup would strictly be for running my cb radio linear amp its a competition davemade amp it draws 180 amps and can run anything from 12-24 volts more volts = higher output should put out close to 3000 watts peak

Big Bore

Reaction score
more volts = higher output

This is true as long as the alternator will still put out the same amount of amps at 16v as it would at 14v. It may very well do that as 2v is not a lot, but the alternator is only capable of so many max watts and pushing it to the outside of it's performance envelope could lead to high heat and early failure. If in fact the amp rating at 14v is also the max watts output, then no, it wont put out more max amps. I'd be curious to know the truth of this, since the 6v deep cycle batts can be charged safely with 16v, the Trace inverter that powers my home will go up to 16.5v when charging.

moose99psd

Reaction score
This is true as long as the alternator will still put out the same amount of amps at 16v as it would at 14v. It may very well do that as 2v is not a lot, but the alternator is only capable of so many max watts and pushing it to the outside of it's performance envelope could lead to high heat and early failure. If in fact the amp rating at 14v is also the max watts output, then no, it wont put out more max amps. I'd be curious to know the truth of this, since the 6v deep cycle batts can be charged safely with 16v, the Trace inverter that powers my home will go up to 16.5v when charging.

could easily have an altenator built to handle just what he wants.

El chupacabra

Reaction score
Check out davemade.com and cbr electronics they have some heavy alternators with external regulators and also motor mauls not sure how a maul works they also have ac generator some guys are running as many as 5 or 6 alternators/generators on thease setups

Big Bore

Reaction score
could easily have an altenator built to handle just what he wants.

Yea if we're talking custom alternators then sure, I was still thinking stock alternator with a modified internal regulator.

I had a Premier Power Welder alternator on a Jeep that put out some ungodly amount of HOT rated amps (most alternators are cold rated and lose about 15% when putting out max power). After having it go out and trying to put a stock replacement back in while away from home, I decided against those one offs for a DD. Same thing with the Ford ambulance alternator, was a bit of a pain having to go back to where I bought it for a warrantied replacement. Two off the shelf alternators has a lot more appeal.

I'll check that link out for sure. Sounds like guys are throwing some serious power out the end of an antenna on their trucks.LOL I've been interested in a souped up 10 meter for some time now.

Reaction score
my 02 has factory dual alternators on it.the second alternator has a pigtail that comes out of the factory cab harness iirc.looks like it would be a pain to put it in another truck that didnt have it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
my 02 has factory dual alternators on it.the second alternator has a pigtail that comes out of the factory cab harness iirc.looks like it would be a pain to put it in another truck that didnt have it.

Mines got two as well. It looks like a pain in the dinger to add it in.

Latest posts

Members online