Need advise on used motor

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Well my buddy has a 00 7.3 for sale, minus injectors, and wants 500$.. now I'm under the impression ALL 2000 had FORGED rods .. it has 200k on the clock and im wondering if I could go ahead and pick it up, just do studs and springs on it then wait for my pmr to blow, then swap hpop and turbo over ( won't have a stock at that time) or if I need to re build it. I'm looking at 550 -575 hp goal .

The other thing im thinking is just getting this motor and then pushing the limits on this one till she pops, to see how much I can get..we have a dyno here in Casper now, and it would literally go from the dyno, and home on whatever settings . ( obviously no long road trips) what's your thoughts
sent while trying not to JJ My rods!!!!!!

neverkickn

Reaction score
I would advise you to seek the advice of a qualified technicianLOL

Now that the grammer policing is done, ditto on the above advice. If you can verify that it is a good runner, pick it up. My thoughts on the 500 hp range is to run a stock forged rod block with springs, studs, and push rods till she pops. After that, throw another junkyard block in and throttle down.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I'd want to verify that it has good compression and forged rods before I go ahead and put that work into it. If those two check out than have at it, I did the same thing about a year ago and she's still goin strong.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I'd want to verify that it has good compression and forged rods before I go ahead and put that work into it. If those two check out than have at it, I did the same thing about a year ago and she's still goin strong.

What about intentionally blowing my pmr motor just to see what she will do

CSIPSD

Reaction score

IMHO thats a waste of a block, could cause damage to all kinds of other stuff...

200k is a lot of miles, but for $500, its not bad.

PSDEng

Reaction score

I don't get why people want to do this....especially since you have the opportunity to pull your good pmr motor and sell it in running condition to someone who doesn't want to make power. Heck it might be worth 800-1200 bones depending on mileage and compression #s.

But for the good lord's sake don't just go blow it up for laughs! :slap:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Not for laughs. Just wanting to see how much hp I can get out of one before it blows.

Its a waste... Kainers did it years ago, Jizzy went 550hp for months with 400/400 b codes.

Your not going to be breaking any ground, just ruining a block, injectors and anything else that is damaged at the time.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Its a waste... Kainers did it years ago, Jizzy went 550hp for months with 400/400 b codes.

Your not going to be breaking any ground, just ruining a block, injectors and anything else that is damaged at the time.

Ok

Does anyone have a link to the information about forged rods and what years/ #s had them

97f350stroker

Reaction score
Im with everyone else. You could easily sell that motor in running condition for a grand and use that to fund the build on a forged rod motor or at least recoup some of the money after you put your new motor in.

DocBar

Reaction score
Eff blowing up a motor. You could always use that one for a full build. Either build the one you can get for $500 or swap them out and build the pmr motor. Either way, you'll have a backup if the one in the truck sh!ts the bed. You could have a fresh billet rod motor for ~$5k, if you decided to go that route, or a fully built motor for $10K and take your time building it. In my experience, 550 hp got boring fairly fast. You'll probably be wanting more, so why not build one of the motors to handle the power you're gonna really want?

DocBar

Reaction score
Because..... I'm afraid it will never stop ... I need this to be a DD. I'd I go billet ill have spend another 15k$ ( another dd)

If you go billet with a known good block, you're just adding ~$2500. Have a running motor in your truck, buy the $500 block and build it like you want 1,000RWHP then add bolt ons as needed to get there. The main point is having a spare motor in resrve to build over and beyond desired power levels.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
If you go billet with a known good block, you're just adding ~$2500. Have a running motor in your truck, buy the $500 block and build it like you want 1,000RWHP then add bolt ons as needed to get there. The main point is having a spare motor in resrve to build over and beyond desired power levels.

But doesnt DD Reliability go to hell after 600 ish

TyCorr

Reaction score
But doesnt DD Reliability go to hell after 600 ish

Why would it have to? Chuckie dd's his compounded truck with 400/400s. Over 600hp. Thuggy dd his too at 650+. Some people may or may not design their trucks power to be useful. Or tuning, etc.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I wouldn't push it on a pmr block, not really useful. I was going to do that and see what it'd handle but I knew it'd blow at the worst time possible. Look at David N's truck, from what I gathered on facebook his motor decided to commit suicide while he was on a road trip to texas. It will decide to break at the worst time ever. Just find a used forged motor and throw it in and don't take the risk. I bought my forged motor for $450, taking a HUGE risk tho, didn't know it if ran or even had compression until we swapped it in the truck but compression numbers and everything looks good on it.

Latest posts

Members online