Need an answer pretty quick

6speedsd

Reaction score
Have the truck torn down for studs/gaskets. It's an early 05 build date (18mm). Bought a set of late 05 build heads (20mm) to put on. Just noticed my early rocker boxes won't work. New heads take the two bigger bolts up top to bolt it down. I thought that change took affect after like 2006 models? Or is it that way with ALL 20mm heads?

My current injector hold downs were T40, but they will screw into the new heads. Were the T45 hold downs bigger? Trying to figure out what I gotta have to make this work, and in a bit of a hurry to get it going. Will my early 05 oil rails bolt up to the later 05 rocker box or will I have to source some new friggen oil rails too? Or did I get sold 06-07 heads instead of late 05's like I was told?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Injector hold downs won't clear valve springs. Well they will, but like barely rub all the way down, so guess I gotta get T45 style as well as later rocker boxes.

webb06

Reaction score
You'll definitely need the new style hold downs. Ran in to a few trucks that had the wrong hold downs and it cause all kinds of injector trouble.

Oil rails will be okay.

6speedsd

Reaction score
So just hold downs and boxes...should be good to go correct? Valve covers the same through the years?

When did GP change lengths? I threaded one of mine down in the new heads...protrude out the bottom the same amount as they do on my old heads, but I know we are only talking 1.5mm difference, and the battery is dead in my caliper!

webb06

Reaction score
So just hold downs and boxes...should be good to go correct? Valve covers the same through the years?

When did GP change lengths? I threaded one of mine down in the new heads...protrude out the bottom the same amount as they do on my old heads, but I know we are only talking 1.5mm difference, and the battery is dead in my caliper!

Should be. Vc are the same all years.

Glow plugs I think just the 03 are different

6speedsd

Reaction score
Thanks chief. So much for putting heads back on it this weekend. Time to wait for more parts!

6speedsd

Reaction score
What year did the hold downs change? Were they T45 on all 20mm heads, or was there a certain date that they changed from the T40?

And what's the difference between the two? Hold down itself shaped differently for clearance? Is the bolt the same size in both styles other than the head itself?

webb06

Reaction score
The bolt size is the same. The head is only the difference and the clamp itself is longer.

I believe only the 07 trucks had the 20mm heads. There's a date break somewhere

webb06

Reaction score
It seems like as long as the rocker boxes and hold downs match, they're from the same vehicle year, you should be able to go on any head. If you have everything handy why not try and bolt everything together and install on injector.

Leave the head on and bench or the floor. Bolt the rocker box to it, you will only need 2 bolts if you're using 20mm heads, and then see if the injector goes in correctly. It should take very little pressure to get it seated. If it starts getting tight about halfway down then something isn't right.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Don't have the injectors back from the builder yet.

My boxes won't work on these new heads. Bolt holes don't line up before the box gets into the upper valve spring. I guess I could grind a little material away on the box to clear the spring, but just seems easier to find a set of boxes meant for these heads.

webb06

Reaction score
Don't have the injectors back from the builder yet.

My boxes won't work on these new heads. Bolt holes don't line up before the box gets into the upper valve spring. I guess I could grind a little material away on the box to clear the spring, but just seems easier to find a set of boxes meant for these heads.

Right on. I was just thinking out loud and covering all bases before you find another set

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yea and I appreciate it. I tried puttig my hold downs on these 20mm heads...barely clears the valve springs, so I for sure need the latter hold downs. If I can't come up with some boxes soon, I'll probably just use mine, dowels removed, with studs holding it in place.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
I wouldn't do that...do it right and find some late rocker boxes...did you buy the heads from ford? If so they would've been able to match by serial #. The new ones would be 20mm but your rockers would bolt on correctly.

Latest posts

Members online