Need help diagnosing!!!

Callen11

Reaction score
This is my first post so here it goes...
I need help with diag I have a 2006 6.0 f350 with p max 5" exhaust . I bought the truck wrecked hit in the front and had a dent in the oil pan also broke the upper oil pan that the pick up tube bolts too. It had oil in the pan when I got it started and ran fine.fixed the truck noticed it had a miss would shake or miss violently in overdrive at 55 mph or more especially when going up hill. Did a contribution test with my souls scan tool and said cylinder 8. To confirm this I took it to my buddy's shop and he used his vcm2 to do a power balance test I believe that's what it is called and it showed 8 down big time. So I changed it idles fine but miss was there at 55 in od so I we scanned it with vcm2 again and it showed 2 and 6 down at 55 when it would miss. So in short I decided to change all injectors, motorcraft, updated oil stand pipes and dummy plugs. Fuel pressure is good holds 62 at idle and about 55 at wot. Changed all filters more than once with motorcraft. Ficm voltage never drops below 48.5 icp with Eric's sct tune was commanding 1750 and the lowest it hit was 1550. It's very unpredictable one minute you can do a pull from 0 to 100 not a problem the next it will act like its running on half the cylinders. I had Eric put the truck back to stock so I can observe my icp easier. Any help would be very appreciated. Also I have asked a lot of people about this but I found two t15 torx in the original oil pan!!! They were broke off too.

Callen11

Reaction score
Yep that's the bolts!! Just googled exploded view of injector. Any idea on the surging?

G Racing

Reaction score
So it's commanding 1750 and can only get to 1550? What's the ipr duty at that point? Check the VGT duty cycle, MAP, and MAF. Also check the FICM connectors and make sure they are plugged all the way in.

Callen11

Reaction score
So it's commanding 1750 and can only get to 1550? What's the ipr duty at that point? Check the VGT duty cycle, MAP, and MAF. Also check the FICM connectors and make sure they are plugged all the way in.

Yes with the tune. The tune is off now. Should vgt duty cycle be at about what percent? I will check ficm today.

Callen11

Reaction score
Checked vgt cycle was at 52% when I had the problem. The maf I didn't have the voltage I was checking with edge cts but seemed to be reading normal didnt drop suddenly or raise up suddenly. Map pressure seemed to be correct with boost pressure. I did notice icp pressure vs. voltage seemed to off by .1 is that a big difference.

Callen11

Reaction score
Update put a new lift pump on. Ran great for about 34 miles of my 37 mile ride home
From work. Was going up a slight incline didn't miss so much but would loose power then come back suddenly I did see vgt jump around from 50 to 40 at
About 65 app.

Callen11

Reaction score
Yes took off ficm looked at pins they were fine mad sure tabs on each side clicked.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Let us know how you make out with that... interested to see what fixes it. FWIW, I've seen more than a couple FICM's read perfect 48V across the board, but make the truck run like garbage.

Callen11

Reaction score
Yeah I think it is the ficm as well. I heard some about reading 48 v but the injector drive side being bad.

Callen11

Reaction score
Just an update Marty hasn't messed with it yet. But I have checked for updated stc it does have it. Dsd icp and actual are good I did put in a new injector harness cause it was chaffed threw in a spot. It did help some I have also put in new ipr cause when I was reading pids it jump for a sec but it did not help. I have swapped injectors around i even replaced two under warranty cause it came up contribution code for cyclinder #2 and 8. I swapped ficms with a new one to try no help. But I think tonight I found a couple things I never noticed before. One is the app1 app2 and app3 where all in spec. Now the part I don't under stand and I don't have another truck to check with right now my scan tool has an app low v. Pid. It was reading 0.00 then I started playing with the pedal koeo to watch the voltages of the other app 123. Then after I did this a few time the app low v went to .25. Since it has done that it hasn't missed I drove it for about 20m on long overdrive up hill grades and it has been fine. So maybe I'm on to something or maybe not. Also my scan tool shows a dsd rpm and it never changes Always stays at 688. Just seeing if any one had any suggestions are pids to compare

Demon

Reaction score
Subscribed to this.

I'm having similar scenario driving condition just recently starting. And it seems to happen to me when the truck is cold during the first 15min or so of driving.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Callen11

Reaction score
Well still messing with the truck after work. Pedal is fine nothing wrong with it also my dsd rpm is fine as well. Still no luck My fuel pressure is good I even pulled lines and banjo bolts to headline to make sure they are clear. I pulled a trailer home today or should I say attempted and it was a lot worst. I want to try two more things one is put a temporary regulated return at the back of the heads to make sure fuel is at back of head the next is I did put and oil pan on and I just want to make sure the or ring is there or pick up tube is not damaged. Cause when I got the truck the oil pan had a big dent in it. Does anyone know if that could cause a miss something wrong with the pick up tube or would it not event start if it had a leak there?

Latest posts

Members online