Need help on picking a turbo.

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Well as the title says I need help choosing my next turbo. After the 238 hybrids and dual pumps my TNBB isnt liking life. I was wanting to go with a T-4 style mount and trying to pick my turbo now. I was thinking about a GQSSB, modded H2E, or a 42R but also wanted to know what other turbos are out there. Right now my TN screams and I love the sound of that but heard when you go up to a bigger turbo the whistle sound goes away, is that true? Thanks for any input guys.

Cota

Reaction score
I have a GT4294r and it is way quieter than the 38r was.
Matt at Gearhead is trying to get a deal on GTX4294's give him a shout.

Short Bus

Reaction score
i have ran the mod h2e in the past, loved it. s371 ehh it was ok, made more power than the h2 but surged while towing. Ive heard nothing but good about the gtx 4294's and i am installing a gtx4202 at the moment.

TARM

Reaction score
GQSSB would be a very nice setup with those injectors from all I have heard about it. The videos I have seen of them it lights and spools up very fast.

bruce

Reaction score
i always forget about the gqssb, it would also work really well, a little more coin than the s366 but it is nice piece

TARM

Reaction score
I agree I think the extra coin is well worth it given you have a turbo that was specifically built around the 7.3 air ratio needs. Intake to exhaust. Things like getting it and because of the comp to turbine ratio having surge issues etc.. That's not going to happen. Having it have too much drive pressure to boost the maps are well balanced for our engine and that performance window all that kind of stuff is been taken care of for ya.

steele86

Reaction score
i'm looking in to getting a new turbo as well what would be the best turbo for heavy towing i have diy intake ,intercooler,4"exhaust beans ts chip. i don't have inj's cuz i want to buy the right cc inj's for the turbo , i trying to get my truck to 350 +. i know the 38r will get me there, i want the best turbo for the term i don't want to change it out 2 or3 years later

Tom S

Reaction score
GQSSB would be a very nice setup with those injectors from all I have heard about it. The videos I have seen of them it lights and spools up very fast.

I would agree and I would be calling Wide Open for a price.

TARM

Reaction score
i'm looking in to getting a new turbo as well what would be the best turbo for heavy towing i have diy intake ,intercooler,4"exhaust beans ts chip. i don't have inj's cuz i want to buy the right cc inj's for the turbo , i trying to get my truck to 350 +. i know the 38r will get me there, i want the best turbo for the term i don't want to change it out 2 or3 years later

38R hands down for that power range and looking for a tough durable turbo. The 38R IMO is one tough durable turbo. The beatings I have seen them take is impressive. Seem to be some really good deals on them right now.

For injectors are you are looking for power dedicated specifically to towing. Run a 1.15 turbine housing if you can source one.

160/stock or 160/30% but you just as easily could go with injectors with larger nozzles and keep tuning configured to keep you in that dedicated power range of 400 or under.

Add to that a Stealth SPR1, Full Reg Return even if you stay with a stock pump.

Finally replace the valve springs with some 910s and shim them back to spec height.

I would then look at what kinds of temps the rear axle dif is seeing. If needed add some dedicated cooling there.

Beef up the brake, power steering, and transmission systems.

That would make a nice tow rig.

97powerstroke

Reaction score
I have the qssb turbo on my truck. I can only compare it to the stock turbo cause that's what I replaced the stock one with. It works very well and cleaned up my smoke only a lite haze until it lights. It spools very quick so I can only imagine the gqssb will be the same way just flowing more air.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Not with the standard 74mm turbine and the. 91 turbine. Its sweet on the street where I normally drive it however with only 80% nozzles and a 46mm wastegate im still slightly overdriving the turbine-my backpressure is about 15-20psi higher than boost only under wide open throttle

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
which injector would be a safer overall combo wiht the s366 and 46mm wastegate for a DD work truck and sled puller.
i'm leaning to either 238/100's
or 250/200's ?
will be on an E99 motor with studs,springs,valve stems
i'm thinking the 238's because that way i'll get the full potentional out of the injectors without having to detune the turbo

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.