Need some help

Nickjames

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help with a very random problem I'm having. I have a bone stock 97 f250 that throws a fit every now and then, when it decides to the cel comes on and the truck goes to "limp mode".
It only happens when I'm slowing down, mostly when exiting the freeway, weird thing is as soon as I get on the throttle and let off it the light goes away and everything is back to normal.
The truck has a new lift pump, icp.
Any suggestions on what to check or test is appreciated!
Thanks

NichoF250sd

Reaction score
Im not the diesel wizard but im thinking at that year ,your torque converter lockup was tied into the brake switch somehow and pretty sure there was a TSB about this same problem.Good luck.

Bugman

Reaction score
The 96 does not have a limp mode and you would be better off posting about this up in the 94-97 forums.

If it has thown a cel then there is a code stored that you need to retrieve to figure out what is happening. Which means that you need to find a scanner that is capable of reading the code, most auto parts stores can not read them, you'll have to go to a dealer or mechanic that has the proper tools to get it done.

79jasper

Reaction score
The 96 does not have a limp mode and you would be better off posting about this up in the 94-97 forums.

If it has thown a cel then there is a code stored that you need to retrieve to figure out what is happening. Which means that you need to find a scanner that is capable of reading the code, most auto parts stores can not read them, you'll have to go to a dealer or mechanic that has the proper tools to get it done.
But doesn't the trans have a limp mode?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Foxcobra1

Reaction score
An e4od does have a "limp mode" most of the time it's also has the od light blinking when in limp mode. But I agree, start with a good code reader.

Swaan

Reaction score
E4od has limp mode.
It Max's the line presure as a defensive measure to save it self , while illuminating the O/D light at the end of the shifter. They usually shift very hard in limp mode.

Latest posts

Members online