Need trans help

house of wax

Reaction score
Need some help with a trans problem. I picked up my 05 about 2 months ago. Truck has been flawless and has shifted buttery smooth since the day I got it. Last week when I was driving in town the Tow/Haul light flashed for a few seconds and I had like one kinda harsh shift. The light went out, never came back on, and the truck shifted as smooth as it always had.

Today is the first day I've drove it since last week and my problem returned only it stayed on (luckily I only had to drive it a few miles). Here's what it did today:

1) A few seconds after starting the truck, the Tow/haul light started flashing before even putting the truck into gear and I noticed the idle of the truck was a tad bit higher than normal

2) I noticed a bit of a clunk shifting into drive or reverse

3) When I take off from a stop, the motor revs up completely normal, but the truck feels like it's stuck or starting off in 2nd or 3rd gear

4) First shift seemed to be one harsh shift, second shift seemed like it bucked for a second before harshly shifting into the next gear. Once in the proper gear it runs fine.

5) When coasting to a stop the downshifts were pretty rough

When I got it home I check for codes with my torque pro app and it came back with:

P0742 - Powertrain

- Torque Convertor Clutch Circuit Stuck On

The truck has a Banks 6 gun tuner, but the last time the previous owner had it in for a repair, the dealer disconnected it from the pcm, so I'm assuming that shouldn't be a factor..

If anybody could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

house of wax

Reaction score
Also, I did check the transmission fluid and it was full and not discolored. Temp in mixed driving this morning never got above 160

sootie

Reaction score
get rid of that chitty as$ tuner. it will be hard wired in under the hood.

house of wax

Reaction score
I already planned on getting rid of it, just haven't had a chance to completely pull it out. It wouldn't be affecting anything without it being hooked up to the PCM would it? That part was already done before I got the truck

sootie

Reaction score
what do you mean "hooked up to the pcm"? The monitor being hooked to the obd port has no affect on what the hard wired module is doing to the signals. All that controls is tune level changes and monitoring.

Latest posts

Members online