New Alternator, charging not so good.

Dieseljunkie

Reaction score
So I had to get an orileys alternator saturday. I was in a bind and couldn't wait for ford to open or to order one off line. It seems to be a pretty good unit, its the ultima select 110amp. Well I put it on and it wasn't charging so I wiggled the pig tail and I heard the pitch of the engine change and it started to charge. When ever I start it now it stays around 11.0-11.8 volts unless I drive it for a while at a higher rpm range. Could the bad pig tail be causing this or is the alternator just junk? On a 2:30hr drive yesterday it was charging good 13.5-14.6 volts.

Mdub707

Reaction score
If the alternator is working correctly, it should be charging above 14V at pretty much all times. 11.0-11.8 isn't even charging. However, it doesn't even start charging until after the glow plugs are off and the FICM stops buzzing. You can watch voltage on a monitor and see this. It takes a good minute or so before they start charging on 6.0's. My guess is you just happened to be wiggling the plug when it kicked in bud.

Dieseljunkie

Reaction score
I watch the voltage off of a Dashdaq. And well I drive it for about 5-10 min across campus to class and it doesn't start charging.

Mdub707

Reaction score
That's not correct for sure. I'd bring the damn thing back. I've read a lot of warnings to stay away from the auto parts store alternators on here unfortunately. I would check over your harness/plug on the truck really well first and make sure it's not an issue on your end. It wouldn't surprise me to find that this alternator is bad though. Sounds like a poor connection more than anything. Maybe some dielectric grease in there?

Dieseljunkie

Reaction score
That's what I've heard too. Unfortunately I had to have one that day. But on the other hand I ordered a new pig tail because I know the retainer clip is broke on mine, and I also ordered a mean green alternator with the 220amp output. So hopefully both of those will make it better! Already called my local orileys and they said they will give me a refund on the alt I got from them. Can't wait lol.

yannie

Reaction score
When I start my truck the charge is about 11.5 for about one minute then charges normally after that. It's done that since the day I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mdub707

Reaction score
That's what I've heard too. Unfortunately I had to have one that day. But on the other hand I ordered a new pig tail because I know the retainer clip is broke on mine, and I also ordered a mean green alternator with the 220amp output. So hopefully both of those will make it better! Already called my local orileys and they said they will give me a refund on the alt I got from them. Can't wait lol.

Nice! Let us know how it works out.

When I start my truck the charge is about 11.5 for about one minute then charges normally after that. It's done that since the day I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, this is common on all 6.0's. They alternators don't start charging until the FICM and glow plugs are done doing their thing (and possibly even a little after that). I'm not sure what trips the alts to start charging.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.