new old truck time

psduser1

Reaction score
So I'm putting together another 7.3 farm truck....

I picked this up from a buddy, he pretty much built it the way I would, performance-wise. Unfortunately, his Pyro was after the turbo, ended up burning the valve off one the #1 cylinder, trashed the piston, etc.
300k on the block, not worth it to me to rebuild, as I have another sound-forged rod-block in an 01.
Swapped engines, new springs all the way around, new rubber, and swap the performance parts to the new engine. Tig welded the pickup tube, cleaned and painted the oil pan, and rebuilt the oilcooler.
While the cab is up, I'm adding a di regulated return, eliminating the fuel bowl and a bunch off leak points on the stock fuel system. I build my own pump and filter setup, with a single pump. Hutch and harpoon mods also, of course.

On the air side, 38r and delete pedestal should cure a couple of oilleaks!
Auto trans, with a 6.0 trans cooler.
This truck already has php tunes, to run the 200/100% injectors. Hpop is-gasp- an srp 1.1, lol:flipa:
Big aluminum flatbed, 5th wheel hitch, airbags, dana 80 rear axle with 4.10s, I think it'll make a decent work truck.

Attachments

• 20141230_184030.jpg
    20141230_184030.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 140
  • 20141230_184026.jpg
    20141230_184026.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 143
  • 20141205_173904.jpg
    20141205_173904.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 155

psduser1

Reaction score
Lol, I knew it was coming...Haters, all of you.

I've got another hpop to send out. Hb or adrenaline, soon as I scrape up a couple extra dollars, throw it on the shelf.

Hey joe, still want that airbag switch? Pm ed you.

psduser1

Reaction score
:jawdrop:
Wondered how long it would take for someone to notice. Ima leave it on, free advertising.

Not!:flush:

psduser1

Reaction score
Drove it home tonight, pretty smoky!
Php tunes, I don't remember them being quite that smoky, egts go to 1300 on the 25hp tune, 1500 on the 120 tune.:fustrate:

Maybe the different pcm family, xle? I think. Boost jumps right up to 35-38 psi, so I don't think it's a boost or exhaust leak. After I get a couple hundred miles on it, I'll have to doublecheck for exhaust leaks.
Sumbish steps out, not bad for 4000$ truck, lol. May have to get the chip reburnt, keep dad out of trouble.

psduser1

Reaction score
Lil update

Pretty happy with the setup on this pickup. Done a bunch of towing, got plenty of a $$, lol. Wish I had an auto in my truck, for sure!
Empty, it scoots, loaded, not to shabby, either. Definitely needs new tunes, on the heavy tow, it'll push egts to 1300+, if your not paying attention. Since everybody is going to drive it, I'll have to pull the fuel back, or we'll be swapping engines, again.
This truck has swamps 205/100%, definetly nice injectors, wouldn't hesitate to spend money on the again. Pretty much clean on cold (20*) start today, and crisp. :D

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
id say you need a good set of custom tunes or live tunes.. whats icp dc and icp while in each tune when its getting hot?

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
just a fyi. i have never takin my dually out of the hold the *** on setting even while towing.. can hold it wot up to 100mph with my 12k fiver on the back and never break 1400°...

live life full throttle

psduser1

Reaction score
just a fyi. i have never takin my dually out of the hold the *** on setting even while towing.. can hold it wot up to 100mph with my 12k fiver on the back and never break 1400°...

live life full throttle
I know what you're saying, my other dually stays on matt s hot street tune towing 20k+. Just keep an eye on the egts, they will creep up. On his tow tune, flat-footed gets me 1200, no more.

I appreciate the ipr dc and pressure question, and since I don't have any gages or monitors, I can't give you any numbers. However, from any throttle position, to wot, response is way crisper than my manual truck. I really think there is plenty of oil, lol.
Really need to monitor to know for sure. I'm leaning towards tuning, the po had the same issue. I'm running Gearhead tunes in two other trucks, so I'll have him burn a set of tunes for this one.
I have been told that some tuners may have a little
difficulty dialing in swamps injectors on the first try:shrug:
I'd love to do live tunes, but the old man will never spring for that, lol. It's his money, and we're not spending it.

isootmypants

Reaction score
Yea tunes are big deal. I was running 3 year old swamps tunes with 250/100s, 2 years ago... I'd hit 1400 no problem. Ran like a bastard but my eye was always on the gauge. Get some smooth clean tunes and that truck will be fun without the worry of melting motors

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I know what you're saying, my other dually stays on matt s hot street tune towing 20k+. Just keep an eye on the egts, they will creep up. On his tow tune, flat-footed gets me 1200, no more.

I appreciate the ipr dc and pressure question, and since I don't have any gages or monitors, I can't give you any numbers. However, from any throttle position, to wot, response is way crisper than my manual truck. I really think there is plenty of oil, lol.
Really need to monitor to know for sure. I'm leaning towards tuning, the po had the same issue. I'm running Gearhead tunes in two other trucks, so I'll have him burn a set of tunes for this one.
I have been told that some tuners may have a little
difficulty dialing in swamps injectors on the first try:shrug:
I'd love to do live tunes, but the old man will never spring for that, lol. It's his money, and we're not spending it.
good plan

live life full throttle

bruce

Reaction score
Seems like a lot on injector for a work truck. I think I'd step back to a 160/30 and a stock 17*, throw on an frx and call it a day.

psduser1

Reaction score
Seems like a lot on injector for a work truck. I think I'd step back to a 160/30 and a stock 17*, throw on an frx and call it a day.

Its not what I would have necessarily picked for an injector, bruce, but they came in the truck. It has di's rr, a full fuel system, and all the supporting mods, to go with it. I think a little time, and tuning, it'll be fine.
It's perfectly drivable now, I just want an idiot-proof tune, for whoever gets in it, lol.
Believe it or not, a 100% nozzle is actually quite tow friendly, with some attention. I've got about 15k miles on the truck in my avatar, towing between 14 and 24k, with a very similar sized injector. Matt had them spot on first try.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Its not what I would have necessarily picked for an injector, bruce, but they came in the truck. It has di's rr, a full fuel system, and all the supporting mods, to go with it. I think a little time, and tuning, it'll be fine.
It's perfectly drivable now, I just want an idiot-proof tune, for whoever gets in it, lol.
Believe it or not, a 100% nozzle is actually quite tow friendly, with some attention. I've got about 15k miles on the truck in my avatar, towing between 14 and 24k, with a very similar sized injector. Matt had them spot on first try.
agreed.. my setup proved to run very well.. the ole bich has always seemed happier hooked to something...

live life full throttle

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Who let you out of the power plant? Lol
Good to see you got a solid rig for so cheap!

Latest posts

Members online