Newbe Exhaust Mod Question

nick.sandvig

Reaction score
Hey guys, let me start by saying I am VERY MUCH a beginner in the diesel world. I am a looking at ways to improve my MPG on my 1997 E350 ClubWagon HD with the 7.3L in it. I currently have reprogrammed with a Hypertech ECon, which I am really happy with. Smoother shifting, snappier throttle, and about 8-9% increase in MPG.

I am talking with a guy at a very respected exhaust shop here in Oceanside, CA who says I should do a 4" exhaust from the Turbo back. I have an Edge Insight CTS also and would like to add a pyrometer as well regardless if I do the exhaust.

There are so many kinds out there though and I don't know what type of system I need. I would like to keep the noise level as close to my stock exhaust as possible, and still need to be able to pass smog in CA.

Do I need a particulate filter?
Do I want a muffler or a resonator or both??
Do I want a turbo or cat back???
Is this going to be super loud???? I don't like the big in your face diesel noise, but a little turbo whistle is cool with me.

Thank you for anyone who can help.

ghohouston

Reaction score
If you want exhaust but no noise, id go with 4", buy it with a muffler, but install it without it and see how you like it, you may just fall in love with the sound. 7.3's arent that loud, especially with 4" exhaust. And fyi, and exhaust kit for an obs 7 3 will have a 3" down pipe.and for the love of god no you dont need a particulate filter, cali emissions people may not like you removing your cat though

Biggreen96

Reaction score
With a 97 you don't have to worry about smog. Cali smogs 98 and newer diesels. Unless something has changed. And unless you have a california truck i believe it doesn't have a cat. My 96 federal truck didn't have have.

nick.sandvig

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.
My van is actually a 1998 but the motor is a 1997. She's an early 98.

Im gonna talk to the guy more about doing a 4" with a muffler but like @ghohouston said ask him if he will run it first without the muffler and install after if needed. He seemed to know a lot about the smog inspection as well. I've live in CA for 4 years and am familiar with it by now, but no expert.

Thanks for your help. Pretty pumped to get this done!! I'm going to have him to a Pyrometer as well and plug that into my Edge CTS!! Cant wait. Bye Bye Savings!!

TyCorr

Reaction score
I noticed nobody suggested an exhaust so my vote goes to mbrp 4" aluminized steel. If they produce it for.the van.

Latest posts

Members online