no power in first gear

fordmansteven

Reaction score
2006 6.0 just put truck back together and it dosent seem to have much power in first gear, also it blows white smoke after it warms up when sitting at stop lights. when truck comes up to operating temp it quit smoking. here is a list of what I did to the truck.
new heads
new icp
new ipr
head studs
new ford head gaskets
new ford injectors ( these were installed just before work)
new dummy plugs
cleaned turbo
bullet proof external oil cooler
:fustrate:

fordmansteven

Reaction score
the ficm is about 47 to 49 volts, but I did notice that the batt voltage is a little low 12.2 to 13.9. what would the volts have to do with it smoking

Lassie

Reaction score
If battery voltage is low, FICM can be stressed. The injector coils are going to pull the power they need, regardless of voltage...so current goes up. I've killed a FICM with a batt problem due to a bad alternator...and soon after lost two injectors.

And to answer your question about smoke, yes, FICM problems can cause smoke.

EDIT: I run batteries in these for three falls/winters max. Change before the fourth fall. Check your dates

fordmansteven

Reaction score
what would cause the lack of power in 1st gear. I hooked to the trailer today that had a 500 gal tank and my wildcat sxs and it would not pull it up the hill until I locked it in 4 low

Tom S

Reaction score
Torque converter sprag comes to mine if they are like they are on a 7.3 when they fail.

Derkperk

Reaction score
It must not have power in all gears. Will it pull your trailer in manual 2nd?
If you have a crap injector or 2, which could be caused by a bad ficm killed by bad voltage, you will be down on power and white smoke, raw fuel. Swap that battery and alternator and then see how it runs. Have to get the bases set before you can dig deeper.

fordmansteven

Reaction score
put two new batts in and new alt still no change. did have a up pipe leak fixed it put still same problem. when take off from a dead stop it smokes like crazy and builds boost slowly but when it get up to about 8 to 10 psi it takes off and will build up to 28 psi

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Could be turbo vanes staying or stuck open? After seeing that it builds slow till 8-10 an takes off sounds More like a turbo issue that was accompanied by the bad batteries an alternator.... I saw where it said you cleaned turbo... Ebp sensor stopped up...

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Sensor is mounted vertical right next to the fuel filter housing and the thermostat.
look at the left exhaust manifold and youll see the stainless tube coming off the front of the manifold

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.