Noise after clutch install.

chris89

Reaction score
So I upgraded to a Kevlar/ceramic valair clutch and it has rattled since I have started it up. With the clutch released it rattles and I have to push the pedel in about half way to get the rattle to stop. Has anyone seen this happen or know what it would be?

SoGrand

Reaction score
What year is the truck? If 94-97 it is very common. 99-03 still common but not as often. If you have the clutch releashed and idle up to 1500 rpm does the noise go away? I will bet it does. It is gear noise from engine harmonic going thru the transmission now. Nothing to worry about. The 94-97 have a dual mass flywheel to dampen the noise. When you put a solid flywheel on it it maginfies the problem. Like i said before nothing to worry about if the noise goes away when you do that test.

chris89

Reaction score
Its 2000, makes the noise all the time. It had a solid before also.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
Call valair, any aftermarket clutch is going to make noise if its anything other then a single disk basic clutch. I know the dual disk clutch we just put in my buddy 2012 cummins sounds like a can of marbles rolling around. I know south bends are a little quieter but not much, but the triple disk is loud as hell.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
I've never put a single in, they've always been duels and triples. I know they've all sounds similar the triples usually the worst

2000wa250

Reaction score
Hows your fluid level in the tranny? I know when I put my Southbend DD in, I also changed the fluid. Didnt get enough in there the first time, and it was loud as hell. Pulled the fill plug and shifter, filled it from the shifter point until I could see it/it came out of the fill hole. Put the plug back in and added approximately another quart. Started her up and the noise was MUCH quieter. Also, did you rip your shifter boot? Whatever those things are made out of do an AMAZING job at dampening the noise, however if its not fully seated/sealed, it will let in a ton of noise that will sound like its coming from the trans.

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Hows your fluid level in the tranny? I know when I put my Southbend DD in, I also changed the fluid. Didnt get enough in there the first time, and it was loud as hell. Pulled the fill plug and shifter, filled it from the shifter point until I could see it/it came out of the fill hole. Put the plug back in and added approximately another quart. Started her up and the noise was MUCH quieter. Also, did you rip your shifter boot? Whatever those things are made out of do an AMAZING job at dampening the noise, however if its not fully seated/sealed, it will let in a ton of noise that will sound like its coming from the trans.

This :whs: Check the fluid and make sure its full, could have been low before and you can loose some from the lines/ports when you pull the transmission(6-speed).

chris89

Reaction score
I checked the fluid and it looks like ATF in the trans. What should I replace it with?And how much do I need to buy?

jimmyp

Reaction score
Ive got a dual friction single disc in my 00 and it chatters some at idle. The place that built the clutch prewarned me it would happen.

Jim

Latest posts

Members online