Noticed a new leak....wow!

sfye

Reaction score
Noticed a pretty decent sized spot under the truck this morning and was suprised at what I found!

Looks like the front transmission cover is almost falling off and missing 3 bolts!

I'm pretty new to these trucks, but I've learned a lot over the last few months on these forums but I have a few questions.

First of all does anyone know what size bolts I need to get this fastened back? Can't seem to find any info.

Once I get it fastened is the fluid loss going to hurt anything? Not sure if it's enough to hurt anything but considering the tranny is only 5 months old I don't want to hurt it any.

Last but not least is the little smiley face hole at the bottom normal? Assuming it's some kind of breather.

f07ea9ffc1bbea87398cc00cc92dba41.jpg

5161668522d4a8ef04f532126c574283.jpg

951d6a1522204a8dedf60e6309639664.jpg

7ca7e9a9e696969a14d65d6f8c181e2c.jpg

psduser1

Reaction score
It's a weep hole for oil, lol. Or water.
I'd just replace the missing fasteners, check the trans oil, and run it.

Arisley

Reaction score
First, that "smiley face" is a place for any fluid that is in there to get out. You need to find out what fluid that is, trans fluid, oil, or fuel. If it is trans fluid, if you put some on your finger, it will be reddish. If it has no red tint to it, smell it, that will tell you if it is oil or fuel. You can also taste it, that would let you know also. However, I would not recommend tasting.

Look it the valley of your motor, right in between the heads and under the turbo. Lots of stuff in there you will need a flashlight. it should be dry. There is a drain hole in there. Any fluid that gets in the valley will drain out that hole and comes out on the back of the motor between the motor and the transmission. And will drip out of that little "smiley face" hole.

sfye

Reaction score
It's not red, doesn't smell like diesel, and feels and smells like oil so I'm going with that option.

There is some sludge in the valley, which is annoying because it was just at the dealer a couple months ago to check for leaks since there is a small spot (today was much bigger obviously) under the truck each morning, but they didn't find anything.

Where is the easiest place to pinpoint it from here? I'd be glad to send pictures of anything specific that would help. Again, pretty new to these trucks so any advice would be great.

Rob D

Reaction score
Where is the smiley face exactly - tough to make out bc it is so zoomed in. Would like to check mine when I get home.

Thanks in advance

sfye

Reaction score
Very bottom of the dust cover in between the oil pan and transmission. Should've used another word besides smiley face. Doesn't sound like I'm going to live that one down...

Arisley

Reaction score
Whatever you do, DO NOT listen to somebody when they tell you it is a rear main seal leak. It is a valley leak. There is only about 99 places that fuel or oil can leak into the valley. Nothing is real hard to fix, there are just a lot of parts that have to be put together right, or they will leak again.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Whatever you do, DO NOT listen to somebody when they tell you it is a rear main seal leak. It is a valley leak. There is only about 99 places that fuel or oil can leak into the valley. Nothing is real hard to fix, there are just a lot of parts that have to be put together right, or they will leak again.

Yup. And being winter....my money says the turbo pedestal, specifically the EBPV actuator, is leaking.

sfye

Reaction score
I'll start with the pedestal and go from there. I did notice that the ribbed black lines going through the valley area, which based on research seem to be the HPO lines, have quite a bit of residue on them like they've had oil on them

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.