Now the alternator?

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
So prior to today my alternator was putting out 14.2 or so volts at idle but my battery voltage was dropping to 10.8 v in the morning when I start my truck so today I went and bought 2 yellow top Optimas and now my voltage on my sct says 13.56 at idle...?

FallenAuthority

Reaction score
mid to high 13s is where you want to be with a properly functioning alternator. If your old batteries were worn out the alt was charging higher trying to bring them up to where they shouldve been, now you have good batteries so your alternator has much less load on it.

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
Agreed
your fine with that voltage .. I wish you would have research batteries first before you bought Optimas

Extended Power

Reaction score
The other problem is if one battery starts to flake out, the alternator never fully charges them up, and is always running full out...burning out the stock alternators quick, as it is undersized.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Agreed
your fine with that voltage .. I wish you would have research batteries first before you bought Optimas

I did read quite a bit and a lot of people said the yellow top Optimas were hard to beat? I seen that since they moved to mexico some people think there crappy now but they still come with a 3 year warranty. And since I'm stationed in Germany I don't have alot of choice!

Sicksoh

Reaction score
Don't be scared if Optimas I run yellow tops in our gas jobs and red tops in my 350 I have never had anything but great luck with Optimas. Odyssey are good but way more expensive too .

Extended Power

Reaction score
If the Odysseys came in the same shape as the Optimas, I would buy them. (my battery tray is made for Optimas)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.