OBS 05+ axle swap

Vogel469

Reaction score
I'm also interested in buying a bracket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
You have a good point Mark, but I've been running my weld on generic bracket for 50,000 miles and 5 years no issues what so ever other then a worn out track bar bushing.

I agree with bracing it back to the x-member but to make the statement you did maybe not so much. 90% of all the trucks here are street queens. Only place I see mine failing is in severe off road applications or if the bracket wasn't welded by a certified welder (which mine was).

That is the single most important piece on the swap and cannot be taken lightly. But I feel a weld on bracket it just fine for most.

markfuga

Reaction score
My "Do Not Weld To The Frame" comment is a matter of practice that I live by with all mods I do. Everything should be bolt-on and only weld when there is no other way to make the modifications. Welding creates many stresses in the frame along with "risers" that can develop into cracks over time. Welding on a frame (especially by novice/amature) is just a bad idea. It's not a matter of "will the weld hold the piece on" but rather what distortion and stresses have been created by the welding.

I'm surprised by the number of people looking for the bracket, is there not a vendor/sponsor supplied option out there? I thought there was. I'm not a sponsor so I've been hesitant to reply with offers to make the brackets but if there's that much interest and no one is making them then send me a PM. I'm in the process of making several now for a couple guys so I can easily increase the count.

Reaction score
I used a stock 05-07 track bar bracket. I had to grind down a few places on the bracket so that it would sit correctly on the frame and crossmember. I also had to shave down the front lip on the crossmember. I also used a PMF track bar for a lowered application. I ended up having to shorten the track bar by about 1" for it to work correctly.

I also used my factory steering gear box with a super duty pitman arm and OBS Russel brake lines for a lifted application even though I'm on 5.4 coils.

Last edited:

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Ok, I see your point Mark. And I do like your bolt on modification idea! I am also supposed there isnt a vendor like SKY or PMF making these

sdh1994

Reaction score
I emailed PMF but haven't heard anything yet. Thought maybe they would since it seems like the swap is becoming more popular than the RSK swap.

m j

Reaction score
got this 08 for $500cdn
its pretty tempting to put the '01 2wdr work truck on this roller as it is the same eclb
the wheels cost me $400
the pricing for bling parts is weird to me when hard parts are so cheap

Attachments

• 2016-11-11 13.23.45.jpg
    2016-11-11 13.23.45.jpg
    847.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 2016-10-22 14.12.44.jpg
    2016-10-22 14.12.44.jpg
    740.4 KB · Views: 114

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
Here are the pics of mine using all factory 05 suspension as well as steering components including the 05 steering gear box and stabilizer, figure it is easier if they are all in one thread.

95_Bronco_conversion_pics_015.jpg

95_Bronco_conversion_pics_006.jpg

95_Bronco_conversion_pics_007.jpg

95_Bronco_conversion_pics_008.jpg

95_Bronco_conversion_pics_009.jpg

95_Bronco_conversion_pics_004.jpg

95_Bronco_conversion_pics_010.jpg

95_Bronco_conversion_pics_005.jpg

20161115_132613.jpg

webb06

Reaction score
Here are the pics of mine using all factory 05 suspension as well as steering components including the 05 steering gear box and stabilizer, figure it is easier if they are all in one thread.]

What all has to be done with the one brake lines to connect to the superduty brake lines off the caliper? Same with power steering lines?

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
why the love for the 05 steering box? link to info please

Simplicity, anything I need suspension/steering replacement wise I simply buy for an 05, no special parts or work needed.
Also IF someone wanted to do a suspension lift later just buy for 05 truck and ALL parts bolt on.

Last edited:

Fiveohmatt

Reaction score
I just finished my swap. And so far its the best thing I have done for my truck! If anyone is on the fence do it! I was able to use nothing but oem part, plus some grade 8 bolts where the rivets were and the 1410-1350 conversion joint.

JayTee013

Reaction score
I'm starting this swap myself. All parts collected and everything sold and torn out of my truck. I've got a pretty good handle on where to mount the radius arm brackets, track bracket etc. The missing info is on the coil buckets. Everyone seems to gloss over this in their threads. Anyone have any better pics or process for mounting? I've seen some people slightly notch for the cross-member rivet and just place it there. Anyone have any measurements that worked out nicely. I want to do it once, do it right and not re-invent what someone has already figured out.

Maybe when I get the coil buckets torched off the 2005 and set them up against my frame it will be obvious...

webb06

Reaction score
I'm starting this swap myself. All parts collected and everything sold and torn out of my truck. I've got a pretty good handle on where to mount the radius arm brackets, track bracket etc. The missing info is on the coil buckets. Everyone seems to gloss over this in their threads. Anyone have any better pics or process for mounting? I've seen some people slightly notch for the cross-member rivet and just place it there. Anyone have any measurements that worked out nicely. I want to do it once, do it right and not re-invent what someone has already figured out.

Maybe when I get the coil buckets torched off the 2005 and set them up against my frame it will be obvious...

Once you have the radius arm brackets attached it's a piece of cake to mount up the coil buckets. Just attach the radius arms and as you lower the frame down on the coils align the buckets against the frame. Passenger side will but up right against a rivet in front of it. Driver side will require a small notch to be cut out of the front. I can get some pics of a truck I'm doing in a few

JayTee013

Reaction score
Once you have the radius arm brackets attached it's a piece of cake to mount up the coil buckets. Just attach the radius arms and as you lower the frame down on the coils align the buckets against the frame. Passenger side will but up right against a rivet in front of it. Driver side will require a small notch to be cut out of the front. I can get some pics of a truck I'm doing in a few

Awesome. If you've got some pics it would be helpful. But that all makes sense. Simple and easy. Every seems to gloss over this in their swaps. I figured it would probably be straight forward once everything was in place. I planned on placing the radius arm brackets first anyway.

Thank you!

Also, I know a few people have thrown out some questions for rear shock brackets. I just ordered a set from Bronco graveyard. $20 for OBS rear axle mounts, they are weld on and already have the right angle built into them. I've used them in the past on other projects and they are slick cheap little mounts. For $20 its easier than screwing with the superduty mounts. IMHO

bronco%20brackets_1.jpg

Latest posts

Members online