OD off button

Dirtclod

Reaction score
While pulling heavy I use this button quiet often. Mostly through the mountains when going down hill. It really helps save brakes. I've heard some people say they don't like the brakes on these 99-03 trucks but I haven't had a problem. However this overdrive off button has been messing up. Used to the off light would stay on if OD was off. Then I had to move the shifter up and forward and the light would come on OD would be off and light would go off. Push up and forward press again light would come on OD on. Now I can't get it to do anything. Is it a steering column issue?

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
Prob an issue with the shifter handle itself. The wires get worn thru or cut completely in 2 down at the colum. The handle is like $55 from Ford and not that big of a deal to change out.

redneck1

Reaction score
Cut an Ethernet cable apart and use the wires. Cheap fix in a pinch. That's about the size those wires are inside that shift lever.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Knock wood, but i used to have trouble with them in every ford Ive had. My 00 has 250k + and its only on its second one but thats an exception for my experience. I usually just take the junk apart and check the column bolts and bushings when i do that.

You certainly can fix it as Andy said but I usually unplug them throw them in the trash and put a new one in.

Theres isnt an original switch left in my 00 other than the turn signal stalk.

Arisley

Reaction score
My E99 has over 350K on it. The OD light does not work, but the switch still works. Every other switch still works perfectly, all are original except for the Headlight switch. That booger was ugly when it went out.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Bring that truck up here for one full year. Nothing will work come spring. Cold weather does a number on everything.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I still haven't had a chance to mess with it. Also my windshield motor has went out again. Just had that fixed couple months ago. My headlight switch has been replaced 2 years ago. The mirror switch hasn't ever worked. I think I'll just take it into the stealer ship and get all that fixed. Need new tow mirrors and I'd love to get 08 with turn signals. There's a guy on Craigslist around the San Fran Bay Area that's got lots of parts. I think I'll give him a call and see what all I can Get. It's getting bout time to get it painted. As much as I'd love to do front axle swap I'm not paying someone else to do it. I think I'll get new 1 ton leafs for the rear and front south all new brackets.have my bags installed and get another viair compressor to go with my other one. Hopefully that can handle a 1/2" impact wrench or air up my tires. While I'm out here making this big $ hopefully I can get it back to new.

Latest posts

Members online