odd long(er) crank issue.....?

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
03 6.0 put a new motor in it, old motor ate a bearing.

03 motor had around 80k on it, did compression test everything was good there. Put the motor in with new oil cooler,water pump,studs,heads,delete,. Was originally going to keep the truck for us to haul motors around with etc until I found another 6.4 that I ended up buying. Problem (sorta) is the truck will take a few cranks to turn over only when hot and then sound like it starts on a few cylinders and a few seconds later it picks all of them up. The truck also has all brand new injectors & hpop. We did not hear the engine run in the previous truck but as it was super clean and the truck was hit hard I decided to keep it for myself. The truck is throwing 0 codes and all the pressures are excellent. Tried switching to ficm with a newer flash and it had no change at all on it. I have also had another 03 6.0 that was bought when it was new and it has done almost the same thing (longer cranks then normal) to start since the day it was bought. The truck starts excellent when cold without being plugged in.

Also tested the hpo system and there are no leaks anywhere. The truck runs and drives excellent and is a really nice truck I just don't want anyone to test drive it then start it hot and freak out. So not sure if anyone else has any experiences with this sorta thing or not. And I do not know if its by chance the only other truck I have seen do this is an 03 as well.

Any input would be appreciated .

truck is all stock no tunes or anything

sootie

Reaction score
is there any way you can check icp when its cranking?

im not sure about 03 but on the 05's a fauly icp sensor can cause that and if you unplug the sensor it will use a default map. if the problem goes away it is the sensor.

weazel

Reaction score
Sounds like an HPO leak, or the HPOP is going. But you said you checked that out, is there any area you may have overlooked

Sent from my fortress of awesome

sootie

Reaction score
did you try cranking over with the valve covers off or testing the system with shop air?

webb06

Reaction score
Pretty sure what you're describing is pretty normal on the 03 trucks. From what I'm reading anyway.

Only starts "odd" when hot though?

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Yes tried air no leaks anywhere at all.

As far as being an 03 thing that's what we were leaning to as well. It seems to only do it after the initial start up. The other truck that did this was also an 03 as well

Latest posts

Members online