Odd Misfire issue. No Codes. Any insight?

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
So Lately I've been having a really weird misfire issue with my truck. If you aren't familiar with my build I am running MPD 305/150s and a s475... Just installed a new hpop a few weeks ago, BUT, it started doing this before that. The truck runs awesome when just driving it around and not really hammering on it, but if I hammer on it hard or do a WOT pull it will start misfiring and feels like bad injectors for a little while. Sometimes it will go away quickly, and sometimes it will keep misfiring for awhile. No codes thrown when this happens. Have ran it with a scanner on it and when it happens it shows low contribution for a few cylinders but then it clears up randomly. Has me stumped. The one theory I have is potentially lpop not keeping up and oil cooler maybe getting drained after a hard pull and introducing air into the system?? Any thoughts, ideas, tips??

Sysx

Reaction score
I wasn't modded like you but my truck did that when my fuel pump was going out.

Finally from a phone that fits my hands!

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I wasn't modded like you but my truck did that when my fuel pump was going out.

Finally from a phone that fits my hands!

I did think fuel pump but I have a fuel pressure gauge and am watching the pressure off my regulated return. NO drop in pressure ever. I would think that if there is a flow issue it would show in the fuel pressure gauge?

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Icp doesn't fluctuate rapidly during the miss does it?

Honestly couldn't tell you right now. I have a live wire ts in it now which doesn't read icp voltage so I can't really tell. What is weird is that after running it hard it will start missing and then randomly start running fine again

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Icp fluctuations can cause cylinders to have a low contribution, making it seem like there is an injector issue when there is not. Could be an Ipr issue. Need to monitor Icp, Ipr duty cycle etc.. while the miss occurs.

sootie

Reaction score
And I believe 3 and 7 are next to each other in the firing order so the miss may only be occurring in one of those cylinders.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Icp fluctuations can cause cylinders to have a low contribution, making it seem like there is an injector issue when there is not. Could be an Ipr issue. Need to monitor Icp, Ipr duty cycle etc.. while the miss occurs.

I need to get a scanner on it and do that. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the ipr

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Watched IPR duty cycle today while the miss was going on. When it was running normal I saw a max duty cycle of about 85% and when it started misfiring the duty cycle was between 20% and 45-50% tops. Maybe bad IPR? Also when it was misfiring the duty cycle seemed pretty slow to change and hung up sometimes.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Watched IPR duty cycle today while the miss was going on. When it was running normal I saw a max duty cycle of about 85% and when it started misfiring the duty cycle was between 20% and 45-50% tops. Maybe bad IPR? Also when it was misfiring the duty cycle seemed pretty slow to change and hung up sometimes.

What was the pressure doing during the miss also?

sootie

Reaction score
Leave the icp sensor unplugged and see if it makes a difference. That way it will be running on a fixed numeric value instead of the sensor output.

Latest posts

Members online