Oil cooler flush that has seemed to work!

Buellstunter

Reaction score
I'll probably Get hassled for this, but maybe it will help someone out like it did me. I recently purchased a 05 6.0. Was just bulletproofed and a few other things done like a new oil cooler. Truck I think was pretty neglected from the previous owner. but he just spent $8000 on the motor 2500 miles before I purchased the truck. I have the receipts from the shop that did the work. Long story short I been having issues with deltas and only has 5000 on new cooler now. At some points on the highway they were hitting 30*+ spread without a load. I've spent more money on this truck lately than I wanted to or thought I would have to. So don't have the $ to do a cooler right now. I've read post after post and watched numerous videos about flushing cooling system and back flushing and what to do it with till my eyes bugged out. I flushed the system about a month ago and it helped, but not like this last method I tried. I drained the cooling system and removed the lower rad hose. I then removed the oil cooler plate at the base of the oil filter housing. I put a rubber hose in the cooler that fit tight and hooked the garden hose up to it And pushed the water through it for a few minutes. Then took and blew compressed air through it as I did last time. But this time, Now this is the part that people may frown upon and not agree with. I took a bottle of "lime away" the gel type and filled the oil cooler with it and left it sit for about 2-3 min. And it started to foam up. I capped the cooler with a rubber cork and left it sit another 2-3 min till I could see the foam oosing out the lower rad Hose. Then I flushed with the garden hose again till the water coming out the lower rad hose was clear, I did this 4 times. Them I put water in the degas bottle and left it run through. I put the whole system back together and filled it with water. Then removed the lower hose and drained again. Then filled the system with Coolant and started the truck to circulate the coolant. Drove the truck now about 100-150 miles and the largest delta diff. Has been 5* on a mild uphill grade with 2 motorcycles in the bed at 60mph. Drove it around town today and was seeing about 1-3* diff. ECT running 192-194 and EOT at 194-196. Not sure about long term resultsyet. But the short term results have been pleasing. Now if I can get rid of this miss/stiction issue I'll be good to go.

webb06

Reaction score
Nice work! I don't see it hurting anything as long as you flushed it well, and it sounds like you did!

florida 6.0

Reaction score
Yeah I think the key with flushing is to be thorough like you were . Some people think a drop and drain is all it takes lol .

Buellstunter

Reaction score
Yeah I think the key with flushing is to be thorough like you were . Some people think a drop and drain is all it takes lol .

Agreed. The first time I did it I put a cooling system flush chemical in and thought that would be enough. You need to get I'm there and get midevil on its ass and push pressure through the cooler. Makes a big diff. I couldn't believe some of the stuff that came out that lower hose on to the ground. Especially all the casting sand looking stuff that is still in these engines. I'm actually looking forward to cutting my first coolant filter apart to see the inside.

Latest posts

Members online