oil leak after gen 3 install

ryanss22

Reaction score
I got my truck up and running after several long months of tinkering here and there on it. mods are listed in sig for reference. I had an adrenaline hpop that I sold to a buddy and got his stock 17* hpop that I bought all new O-rings and plug kit for to freshen it up and make sure everything was good, and installed the gen 3 per directions. I stupidly re-used the old mounting gasket and top rubber gasket, well those leaked right at the bottom of the mounting surprise, surprise :doh: well I got all new gaskets from a dealer, torqued the front bolt to 95 ft -lbs per the book and tightened up the rear mounting bolts tight.. I still have an oil leak at the bottom of the stock hpop right by the ipr and mounting bolt, its a slow steady leak. I used a mirror while truck was running to verify where the leak was coming from and am totally stumped how theres still an oil leak with all new gaskets and doing everything per the book.

any idea's on that??

also I have an oil leak that is running down the INSIDE of my bell housing, head is dry with new gaskets and arp's and so is rear oil supply line, can still see the white of the thread sealant via a mirror. I did have a shop replace the rear main seal when they did the oil pan if that could be it or any way of checking that???

sorry for the long post but these 2 oil leaks are the last things keeping me from pulling and driving my truck...

any help would be greatly appreciated

David N

Reaction score
Not sure about the HPOP leak, but the bell housing leak sounds like a rear main. Why did they replace it? Was it leaking? General rule of thumb with a 7.3's rear main is to not mess with it unless its leaking.

ryanss22

Reaction score
nope it was not leaking, its a local big rig shop that does a lot of 7.3 work and 6.0 work they suggested doing it while in there. truck and engine only has 125k miles on it

nwpastroker

Reaction score
check the resovoir for cracks next time you pull the pump out. If its sealing right, then either the pump or the resovoir is cracked. If your hpop is leaking in the valley it will more thank likely run out right underneath the turbo onto the bell housing above the starter.

ryanss22

Reaction score
the resovoir that the pump sits in that's on the engine block? I had dried up the valley when reinstalling the gaskets to look for new leaks. the hpop had leaked into the first hole only, while the leak inside the bell housing was still a steady leak and when sprayed clean with brake clean and wiped up it still was leaking more then just residual

ryanss22

Reaction score
My hpop leak is bad enough that ot fiills valley in about 15min of idle time. Thats why I really wanna fix this first then run it.

golfer

Reaction score
My hpop leak is bad enough that ot fiills valley in about 15min of idle time. Thats why I really wanna fix this first then run it.

Give us a shout, and I'll see if one of our tech's can help you locate the leak.

866-595-8724

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Ryan are you absolutely sure the bolts for the hpop are tight? I had a bolt pull the threads out of the cover (they are only in there maybe 1/4") but it felt tight during install and it blew the gasket out within a half hour of run time. I now use longer bolts that thread in further. I wouldnt worry about the bellhousing untill you get your leaks up top fixed. With that much oil leaking it will go all over and could be from the hpop leak.

ryanss22

Reaction score
As far as I can tell the 2 10mm bolts in back are tight. Jacob are those the 2bolts ur talking about? The leak is comming from the bottom of the hpop. I stuck a mirror. In the valley to see it. Can I undo everything and. Put sicone all around the rubber ring? Im tired of. Buyimg gaskets lol. On my 3rd set.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
As far as I can tell the 2 10mm bolts in back are tight. Jacob are those the 2bolts ur talking about? The leak is comming from the bottom of the hpop. I stuck a mirror. In the valley to see it. Can I undo everything and. Put sicone all around the rubber ring? Im tired of. Buyimg gaskets lol. On my 3rd set.

Yes those are the bolts Im talking about and that's exactly where my gasket blew out. Not saying that's your problem too, just something it could possibly be.

Latest posts

Members online