Oil leak

6speedsd

Reaction score
Ok, one more question on the 2003. Have an oil leak up on top of the motor somewhere. Not a major leak, but it's definitely a leak I'd like to get figured out. The majority of the oil runs down off the back passenger side of the engine, down onto the starter. There is some oil leaking down the front towards the AC compressor. I've checked all the common spots, but can't find anything. Turbo oil fill tube is dry, turbo drain is dry, basically everything on the drivers side is dry. It's wet underneath the intake, and down around the oil cooler. He had the cooler replaced a couple years ago, and said that's about when his leak started. When we get some down time, I plan on tearing everything apart down to the cooler again and replacing orings and such. Just wanted to see if there was something else simple to check before I start tearing it apart. I'm wondering if the Oring at the base of the oil filter housing is leaking. Like where the housing attaches to the cooler. Either that or the cooler gasket is leaking. I don't have alot of faith in the guy he let do the work before. We have found several short cuts the guy took already, and I'm scared to see what I'll find if I tear into it. Sadly, that guy is a diesel mechanic.
So, anything else that could be leaking that I could check before I start turning wrenches?

florida 6.0

Reaction score
Last time mine had a leak similar to yours it was the valve cover gasket . forgot to snug up all the bolts when I put it back on .

Atsah

Reaction score
He posted in 6.0 tech so my money is on ICP.. Does your truck run okay? If oil is running down the wiring harness it's a matter of time before it starts shorting out and causes a CEL and the idle will be eratic..

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yes it's a 6L. I checked that already. There is no oil anywhere on or near ICP. That was the first place I looked. It seems like the majority of the oil is in front and to the passenger side of the turbo, down under the intake. That's hat makes me think it's leaking somewhere around either the oil filter housing, or the cooler itself.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.