Oil pressure gauge quivers

ParkerFly

Reaction score
I have no idea how long this has been going on, but I noticed today after an oil change that when I'm going down the highway the factory oil pressure gauge on the truck quivers constantly. It's not big, but quivers around between the R and the M in Normal. At idle the gauge sits still. Anything I should be worried about? Thanks.

Peroni

Reaction score
Mine does something similar and I cannot figure it out. It's worse for a few weeks after an oil change but will still do it occasionally afterwards. I replaced the sensor and checked the wire to it but the problem must be elsewhere. I think it's some sort of electrical interference. When it's acting up I can feather the gas pedal and pretty much make it jump around when I want. Give it some throttle it stops, back of just a hair and the gauge freaks out.

On my truck I hooked up a real oil pressure gauge to the hpor and while the stock idiot gauge was going nuts, the real one held a steady 45psi. I would double check you still have good oil pressure before doing your best to ignore or fix the idot gauge.

ParkerFly

Reaction score
I figured it was more a result of a 17 year old truck with a lot of miles than anything else. I'll check my oil pressure with a manual gauge and make sure it's good just in case though. Thanks for the help!

mandkole

Reaction score
I did the mechanical sender deal on mine and worked perfect for awhile, then began to act up. Ground issue or wiring--definitely electrical...

Peroni

Reaction score
Does anyone know where the grounds to the cluster are located? My wiring diagram just shows they are there but not where they're located or where the ground points are.

moesmokebbq

Reaction score
Mine was quivering and running on the low side. I installed a mechanical gauge to verify the correct reading My oil pressure was fine, I cleaned the connection at the sender on top of the reservoir and crimped the connector a tad bit to make it fit snug on the sensor , also cleaned the sensor prong and connector with small wire brush and electrical contact cleaner. after doing this it went back to reading in the middle and stays steady.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.