Oil pressure issues

thecabinetguy

Reaction score
We'll I have a 2003 7.3 346000 miles. I'm having issues when starting the truck after sitting for several hours. The truck starts right up and runs for 3,4 seconds then stalls. I finally noticed the oil gage not coming up until truck stalls. My question is does the mechanical pump or the HPOP control the pressure to the gage. The mechanical pump is one year old the HPOP is 4 or 5 yrs old. If the HPOP needs replaced what are your recommendations for HPOP. I have stage one swamps injectors and BTS 6 pos chip.

ghohouston

Reaction score
The gauge is controlled by a switch, that opens at like 7 psi. Usually the switch is just bad, or the wiring to it. The stalling issue, you probably need a scanner to diagnose. There's plenty of things it could be.

mandkole

Reaction score
Is there oil in the reservoir when it dies? After it dies, pull the little plug , look and it should be about 1/2" from top. The LPOP moves the oil up to the reservoir where the sender is at. Put a mechanical oil gauge on the reservoir (where the plug was) and check it. Mine was approx. 60 psi when cold and about 25 at idle when hot.

thecabinetguy

Reaction score
ok long time sense I've posted here is the deal. I checked the reservoir after the truck set for a long period 8 or 10 hours. The reservoir was empty before i tried to start can anyone help. Thanks

Latest posts

Members online