Opinions ASAP

6speedsd

Reaction score
Ok, so my dad just called and said he ha an issue with his 03(6.0). Said he was driving along, got on it to pass someone, and all the cluster needles pegged wide open, then all dropped to zero, then never came back up. Said radio was out, and windows wouldn't work. He has had the issue with the cluster doing that for a while, but its always came back up to normal. I think the voltage reg isn't working right because we get 16V at times when truck is running. Drive it about another 20 miles and said all of a sudden gauges came back up and everything else started working again. What's the deal? Could it be alternator ( or regulator gone out completely). It's still putting out because like I said its still running over a half hour later.

6speedsd

Reaction score
After doing some research, seems like this is a common problem. Something about a relay on the back of the cluster going out, with a new cluster being the only fix. But if that were the case, why does it only act up when you put your foot in it?? Shouldn't that be just random?

6speedsd

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, seems like the majority of people with this same issue have 05+ trucks. Is that only common on those, or was that just a coincidence? As I said, his is a 03.

Need to get some info fr the guys that know or have had this issue before. He wants to drive it all day tomorrow (200+ miles) and I can't just tell him not to til we get it figured out. He is stubborn. If I had facts maybe I could talk him out of it and we can use mine. He hates for us to use my truck for whatever reason, even though that's the main reason I bought a dually!!

6speedsd

Reaction score
Bump

I read somewhere that if the cluster was going out it thinks its getting 16V, and that why it shuts down. As I said, I'm reading 16v on the system with AE. Why we thought regulator in alternator was on the fritz. Also, you can see the headlights surging at night. Like get bright then dim, bright then dim over and over, and you can hear it in the engine as well.

Someone has to have a little input here.

OBS F350

Reaction score
Bump

I read somewhere that if the cluster was going out it thinks its getting 16V, and that why it shuts down. As I said, I'm reading 16v on the system with AE. Why we thought regulator in alternator was on the fritz. Also, you can see the headlights surging at night. Like get bright then dim, bright then dim over and over, and you can hear it in the engine as well.

Someone has to have a little input here.

I would replace the alternator, or if you don't want to throw the money at it and not be 100% sure swap alternators from your truck to his, takes no time at all. I had the same problem with my 6.4, and it was because my alternator was on it's way out. Lights would surge at idle, cluster would reset if I romped on it sometimes, etc.

6speedsd

Reaction score
That's what I wanted to hear. I've always thought it was an alternator issue. When you get on it, before the cluster goes crazy the battery light comes on. That's how we know its about to happen. Now if I could just get him to replace the damn thing. We are working 80hrs a week, so time is precious.

Atsah

Reaction score
Sounds alternator related but make sure your grounds are all good first..

Atsah

Reaction score
Put a DVM across the battery and see what voltage you actually have.

Ya, I would do that also, with the truck running and not running.. Allthough it may not tell you much if WOT is the only time the issue shows itself.. It seems it is not getting what it needs when asked of it because there is either and bad ground or the alternator is headed south...JMO..

pistonbully

Reaction score
Windows,Sun roof, Radio, and cluster not working? Check fuse 42 if its blown then its a very small wire on the back of the instrument cluster. Its a very easy fix 15 minutes to pull the instrument cluster. On the back you will see a small piece of copper that has split just solder a small piece of wire in to replace this copper strip. Life is good again. Its a common problem. I just did mine. On the other side a new cluster is 480.00 bucks from tasca auto parts. As for why this happens when he steps on it. It was very random for me. hit a bump, step on it, go around a corner. You name it. Sometimes i would blow fuse 42 sometimes i wouldnt and could drive all day again then it would blow again. Once i got the dash out i could see how small this strip of copper was and the fact that it runs between 2 other terminals, so as it moves from some force, it makes contact with the other terminals.

sootie

Reaction score
i lean towards alternator. on our fleet trucks we have seen some really wacky stuff-hit a bump and the whole scenario changes

Latest posts

Members online