opinions on gearhead and the PHP hydra

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Hey guys, currently running a dp F6, thinking of switching to the Hydra and gear head tunes. Just wondering if i understand correctly, i can basically run anyones tunes on the hydra correct and also upload via my laptop just like the F6? What is everyones opinion on gearhead?

dthompson

Reaction score
I had a DP F5 on my old truck, and my new one has gearhead tunes on it. I love the gearhead tunes. I've been thinking about going with the hydra, when I upgrade injectors. Interested to see what people have to say about them.

jaybuller

Reaction score
i have the hydra with php tunes and gearhead tunes on it. both have good tunes. but each has their little quirks for my setup.. gearheads economy tune is very mild and gets realy decent mpg for me but the php tunes have a lot more seat of the pants power all through the rpm range. I have an 80dd, 120 race from php. and I have heavy tow, economy and an all out extream tune from gear head. they all have good power but the 80 dd from php feels stronger than the gearhead extream tune. the 120race php is night and day above the gearhead extream. im going to dyno the truck soon just cause im curious but ill do a comparison between the two hot tunes from both. I can tell you though that the php feels like its going to be about 50hp more than the gearhead. as much as I like power though I still find myself in the gearhead economy tune most days cause I like getting 20mpg!

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Matt tends to be quite conservative up front.

He approaches tuning differently. All out power isn't everythingto him. But Im sure he could open it up for you :)

That being said. Ive herd a lot of good things about bills tunes. Its a shame hes to busy to email tunes now a days.

Either of the two will be hands down night and day to what you have now

jaybuller

Reaction score
You are right about the wait for bills tunes... It took 2 weeks for the 80dd and over a month for the 120.. But that said it was worth the wait! Not only do they make more power everywhere in the powerband they also light the turbo quicker and with less smoke. If I hadn't ever tried php and Matt's tunes side by side though I would be raving about his tunes cause they are good too.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
i defiantly want a seat of the pants fell, thats why i have a modded truck, i read that matts tunes are pretty mellow and feel like a stock truck

firehunter

Reaction score
Does Matt email the tunes for the Hydra?

Yes. I installed a PHP Hydra chip that I got through Gearhead with Matt's tuning on it. We are working though some interesting results and had been sending TS chips back and forth but, no more. Tunes come via email and Hydraflash is ridiculously easy to use. I also got the extension cable so I never have to remove the chip again.

I had PHP tunes prior to Gearhead as was quite pleased with Bill's tuning - still have Bill's tunes on the wife's truck. I too was frustrated with PHP's time frames and Matt/Larz are very easy to deal with.

All good.

Last edited:

firehunter

Reaction score
i defiantly want a seat of the pants fell, thats why i have a modded truck, i read that matts tunes are pretty mellow and feel like a stock truck

The pedal feels like a stock truck but NOT the SOTP or the gauges. The tach, speedo, and boost gauges all move much quicker than on a stock truck. EGT's stay well within reason. The truck even "sounds mellow" but the gauges tell a different story...

CSIPSD

Reaction score

You have to understand the difference between good tuning and what your running now...

Seat of the pants feeling fast because your truck is at 70% when the accelerator is at 30% is not fast, it just feels like it is.

Linear peddle is what I want...

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
very valid point, Shes a tad jumpy at the moment haha. So with the hydra do i have to remove the chip to upload new tunes? Or is it like the F6 where i just plug a USB in?

jaybuller

Reaction score
when you get the hydra order the remote cable so you never have to pull your chip out again. that is the nicest thing about the hydra you can try different peoples tunes. with it. just pay the 25 bucks and php will write you a tune and send it to you. same with gearhead and a few others. all though I cant remember gearheads price per tune. I do like the fact that matt has a very good turn around time and seems to make more time for each individual to either talk on the phone or email. Bill seems to busy to realy take time out to talk or troubleshoot over the phone most days....

rat49f6

Reaction score
Matt also offers lifetime reburns for free if u buy his package of 6 tunes... I think it was less than 200 bucks

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

mandkole

Reaction score
Bill live tuned my rig for the PO and its very good. Very linear pedal and delivery is very stock like smooth, but power is far from stock. At the end of the day, both Bill and Matt could give you what you want.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.