P1728 - Transmission Slip Fault

jschildm

Reaction score
1997 F-350, TS Chip with Gearhead Tunes, Adrenaline HPOP, same transmission its had since I got it 110k miles ago (presumably stock or stock rebuild as there is currently about 246k total on the truck).

For the last couple years I would very occasionally get a P1728 code. This would only happen while towing a gooseneck horse trailer. It would typically trip on a really windy day up a hill. I would never actually feel any slip or feel abnormal function. I would clear the code and it would be fine for 6 months. Fast forward to this summer and it has occurred more recently. Then finally one trip to a horse show it tripped, and then proceeded to trip even driving empty. This was the first time that I felt as though it did not function normally as the DTC was set. I made the just over 2.5 hour tow home without incident, though there is definitely something going on now, as it started out not wanting to lock the TC without me letting of the gas and giving it time to lock without load. By the time I got home, it would stay locked nearly all the time, except to stop, as though I was shifting a manual entirely to early.

Anyways, my internet research tells me it's likely a torque converter. I have 2 questions for the smart folks here:
1. Is there a way to diagnose if its the TC vs. a valve sticking, etc?
2. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good torque converter if it comes to that?

Thanks,
John

Latest posts

Members online