Picked up a 6.0 perty cheap, what to watch for?

bigaF250

Reaction score
Picked up an 04 6.0 a few weeks ago. Ecsb with the zf6. Clean as could be but has 200k on the clock. Truck starts good, runs great, new clutch. Just seeing what everyone has for an opinion on upcoming fixes and possible issues. Truck is 100% stock so all emissions are still there. It was a one owner truck and he was an older guy.

bigaF250

Reaction score
My son was just born last week so aftermarket will wait. I've already got that list ready. I'm talking about stock stuff. So to the guys that have an ass load of miles on their trucks like this one, what is coming my way?

78f100

Reaction score
I sold one a while back that had 276K on it. It had a egr cooler replaced around 200k, other than that it was all stock. Egr will likely be the first problem but you never know may put another 100k on her with no issues.
Run the correct oil filter and cap and service it should last a long time, good luck!

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Congrats on the new born and the new truck!

I've been known to have some good deals now and then on EGR kits. Give me a shout when you get ready :D

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
I've been told the HPOP's are pretty well known for going out on the 03-04 6.0's. Mine just went at 190k. getting new HPOP, oil cooler, studs, egr delete, 2 new injectors, Cold air intake, and 5" exhaust as we speak.

java

Reaction score
Egr delete I have an absolute kit on my truck, coolant filter, and replace the stock water pump with a bulletproof unit.

Mdub707

Reaction score
EGR delete shouldn't be considered an "aftermarket" thing, you should do it to ensure reliability of your truck.

A coolant filter wouldn't hurt, make sure you run the correct oil filter and cap like mentioned already, use only motorcraft or international fuel filters too. Make sure the batteries stay in good shape (things seem to die when the batteries get weak), test the FICM to ensure it's working properly, and just stay up on your maintenance. If I bought that truck, I would be testing oil and coolant temps first thing to ensure the health of the oil cooler.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
Its about damn time man!! Glad to see your back in a diesel! Congrats on the new born as well dude, thats awesome.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The EGR valve isn't an issue if you block off the cooler or remove it. I don't know about the heads blowing at 200k... seems to be more of a function of cylinder pressure and boost than just time, but some stockers have blown as well, albeit not as common. If you plan to keep the truck stock, don't worry about the studs for now.

Latest posts

Members online