Picked up a trailer not sure on brakes..

UnrepentantSinner

Reaction score
uqa4eja4.jpg

Not sure what kind of braking system this is, whatever it is, it's been unhooked. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

yeehaw

Reaction score
surge brakes, they are good and bad. My skidster trailer has them, they are great cause you almost always know when they are working. But with mine, if it is slick out they lock up pretty easy.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Plus it takes stopping from the truck to make them work. Also if you get in a bind you can't just reach over and hit the trailer brakes

UnrepentantSinner

Reaction score
Thanks, haven't ever seen surge brakes, just heard about them. Is there a way to convert them over to electric easily? Otherwise, I'll have to see if I can find a schematic and get these this operational again.

Denver

Reaction score
Our bobcat trailer has them. I hate them. If there is not enough tounge weight the brakes will go on and off when braking. In a bind they really make your knuckles turn white, the brakes activate when backing up a driveway, and there is no braking when backing down a driveway.

1ofakind79

Reaction score
Also if you were to stop on a hill facing up like at a traffic light all of your holding power is from you trucks brakes. If you tow one of these trailers alot your trucks brakes will not last aslong as if you had electric brakes on the trailer.

bboteler

Reaction score
Got the same setup on my flatbed. Mine are unhooked as well, almost lost it in the snow 2 years ago and decided that was enough. I looked into converting to electric but couldn't fine anything for 8 lug axles. If I used it more I'd get rid of mine and get a gooseneck.

blk99

Reaction score
Thanks, haven't ever seen surge brakes, just heard about them. Is there a way to convert them over to electric easily? Otherwise, I'll have to see if I can find a schematic and get these this operational again.

more or less, yes.... electric brake backing plates bolt right up in place of your current hydraulic backing plates and then you just have to run the wiring....

what i have done when i convert a trailer from surge to electric is I weld up the slider portion of the tongue so it doesnt slap back and forth....

PM me anytime, my day job is a trailer mechanic.

bboteler

Reaction score
more or less, yes.... electric brake backing plates bolt right up in place of your current hydraulic backing plates and then you just have to run the wiring....

what i have done when i convert a trailer from surge to electric is I weld up the slider portion of the tongue so it doesnt slap back and forth....

Do you have a source for parts. Id like to convert mine.

CSIPSD

Reaction score

Speaking of which... You need to finish doing the brakes on my trailer...

:flipa:

blk99

Reaction score
Do you have a source for parts. Id like to convert mine.

yes i do... pm me.

etrailer.com

You could convert to electric over hydraulic too.

personal opinion, not the best option.... the list of reasons why is long and distinguished but thats just my opinion. only the extremely high end, overly expensive actuators lack the lag between applying the brakes and actually actuating the trailer brakes, and have the consistency that i would expect from such an expensive system....

nothing wrong with electric brakes if taken care of.

Speaking of which... You need to finish doing the brakes on my trailer...

:flipa:
well if someone would get that giant pile of @#$@ off of it, it might get fixed :D :popcorn:

GCncsuHD

Reaction score
As mentioned, they are surge brakes, you can bolt on electric brakes in place of the hydraulic brakes. I would prefer that method for simplicity, because you will know what you have and the condition. Electric over hydraulic will actually stop a little harder than electric only, but the setup is more expensive then buying new electric brakes, and you may wind up having to replace several of the hydraulic components to get it to work anyhow.

I have one surge brake car hauler trailer (ex-uhaul trailer) while I do agree, it isn't as predictable or nice to pull as our electric brake trailers, but the versatility is nice. Not every one of our vehicles has a brake controller, so the ability to hook it to one of those, or lend it to a friend and still have braking is nice. Other than the annoying clunk, I have never had an issue with it, our surge brake system "free backs" meaning when you first reverse, it does lock down the brake, but they release once the wheel rolls backwards like they should.

Also, I would check out your braking system closer, the fact that the hookup has been changed to a 7 way, and I'm not sure what the black box on the left is, but it looks sorta like a electric breakaway system, I wonder if it hasn't already been converted to electric?

blk99

Reaction score
As mentioned, they are surge brakes, you can bolt on electric brakes in place of the hydraulic brakes. I would prefer that method for simplicity, because you will know what you have and the condition. Electric over hydraulic will actually stop a little harder than electric only, but the setup is more expensive then buying new electric brakes, and you may wind up having to replace several of the hydraulic components to get it to work anyhow.

I have one surge brake car hauler trailer (ex-uhaul trailer) while I do agree, it isn't as predictable or nice to pull as our electric brake trailers, but the versatility is nice. Not every one of our vehicles has a brake controller, so the ability to hook it to one of those, or lend it to a friend and still have braking is nice. Other than the annoying clunk, I have never had an issue with it, our surge brake system "free backs" meaning when you first reverse, it does lock down the brake, but they release once the wheel rolls backwards like they should.

Also, I would check out your braking system closer, the fact that the hookup has been changed to a 7 way, and I'm not sure what the black box on the left is, but it looks sorta like a electric breakaway system, I wonder if it hasn't already been converted to electric?
if the actuator is "clunking" its not working properly.... that means it is bottoming out which in turn means your either low on fluid and have air in the system, or your brakes are out of adjustment/wore out.....

GCncsuHD

Reaction score
if the actuator is "clunking" its not working properly.... that means it is bottoming out which in turn means your either low on fluid and have air in the system, or your brakes are out of adjustment/wore out.....

It isn't bottoming out, isn't low on fluid, pretty sure no air in the system, and the brakes are adjusted. The clunk is not when you are stopping, but when it releases as you take off and the actuator extends. Completely normal, I have never pulled a surge brake trailer that didn't do that on take off with the exception of a much quieter "clunk" when using those fancy shock absorbing ball mounts.

blk99

Reaction score
Im not arguing, I agree its rather normal, but if all the bushings and everything are tight, it wont clunk.... now on my truck I get a clunk with everything because I have over loaded my reciever hitch and slightly ovaled out the pin hole....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.