Popping in the rear end.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
The rear end has a popping noise when I take off or sometimes if I stop to hard. Mostly when I take off. It will do it in reverse too. Could it be a bad u-joint even though it looks to be ok or the lift blocks in the back shifting? Second I found this on the drive shaft. It's the ring looking thing around the back end of the shaft. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373931243.268485.jpg

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
I hope it's not the bearings or gears goin out. Hasn't popped all day. So I'm hoping its the lift blocks.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Anyone know what that ring is around the drive shaft. It can move it. Iv been told it was a balance. I don't see that.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Oh. Should it be in the middle of the thing it's covering. I slid mine off and won't go all the way back on. It hasn't moved since input it back the best I could.

Reaction score
Check make sure your u-bolts are tighte I had mine come just a little loose enough to cause some play.

Also you could change your differential oil and see if any metal shavings come out

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Buellstunter

Reaction score
Rear end rebuild is usually pretty costly At a shop. u could expect to pay anywhere from $800-$1500 per axle to have it done, Depends on shop. You can do it your self but it does require some special tools and gauges to set up properly. The clearances on it are pretty tight and if there not right it will wine or burn the gears up within a 1000 miles or less.

ghohouston

Reaction score
A few years back, being a dumbass teenager, after doing a very long burnout from a stop in my 7.3, I heard a pop/clunk sound. I figured I had ****ed something up, and truck felt kind of funny when I took off from stops from there on out. About 2 weeks later, I was on a bridge in traffic going slow (4-5mph) then had to stop. Once I tried to go again, truck wouldnt move. Im not too savvy on diff's, but I do know I broke a big piece of one of the gears. Enough to put a hole through my diff cover. I ended up buying a junkyard rear end for a few hundred bucks.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
It hasn't done it since I rebalanced the driveshaft but doesn't mean that something either tightened it self or broke off lol.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.