Ported heads? And DD high HP?

shorty2tall

Reaction score
Ok so two questions I've never really seen this anywhere I know they do it some on cummins I believe, but do guys port 7.3 powerstroke heads?
If so does it add enough to make it worth it?
Any specs on it?

Second questions what's the most HP u can get outta a 7.3 and still have it streetable for daily driving?

big_stroker

Reaction score
My heads are ported and I'm a 500+ HP DD and tow with mine.

With the tuning that can be done with a 7.3 you can have a monster truck and still be a DD. Just towing is the only thing you have to watch with bigger injectors for more HP.

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
I think guys should port the 7.3 heads, with all the stuff going about adding turbos and injectors. I would think a more efficient intake side would especially help out. Once i get my hand on a 7.3 we are going to port it and check the flow #s between stock and ported.

shorty2tall

Reaction score
ok is there any specs any where on how they port them?
im going to call my machine shop and see if they have done 7.3 head orting and get a price on it.

big_stroker

Reaction score
I know a few years ago there was some good threads talking about porting and everything over on PSN you might want to go see if you can find them.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
I was also thinking of doing this to mine when I pull the motor. I was going to try a stage 1 cam and porting and polishing the heads, 910 spring and studs.

Marty

Reaction score
If you're building an engine then do it. If you're just swapping engines... don't do it, don't even pull the heads.

I have not found a shop around here willing to flow stock vs ported heads. Don't let someone who hasn't done it before do yours. Take it somewhere that has done it before. You're in WY... there are a couple shops out west there that can assist you.

shorty2tall

Reaction score
If you're building an engine then do it. If you're just swapping engines... don't do it, don't even pull the heads.

I have not found a shop around here willing to flow stock vs ported heads. Don't let someone who hasn't done it before do yours. Take it somewhere that has done it before. You're in WY... there are a couple shops out west there that can assist you.

Do you know what shops?
I have not called the shop i was planning get the rest done yet so see if they have done it i know they're the ones who rebuilt the engine in the truck now. but im doing a forged rod engine swap but the one ill be getting is in pieces and needs rebuilt.

DocBar

Reaction score
David Lott @ Deisel Innovations (check vendors/sponsors list) would be a good one to ask about this subject. I have his stage I heads on my motor. He's a pretty big believer in head work and cams.
High HP DD's are doable, but it's pretty expensive on 7.3's and expect some growing pains while getting everything tuned in and playing nicely with each other.

Marty

Reaction score
Out west... WOP comes to mind, Empire is somewhat close.

Carson has a 30% setup that runs around 600 bucks. That's not cleaned up or the valve jobs... just the porting, but he's out here in the east.

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
i've been wondering the same thing. I currently have an E99 motor on a stand that i'm going to re-build to the 500-550 range. and make it as reliable as i can afford. going to buy a Ford master rebuild kit and start there. I did find a place here in Indiana that does plenty of head jobs on Cummins and a few 7.3 now and then. i'm thinking about a Stage 1 cam as well if i'll have it torn apart

jkidd_39

Reaction score
I spoke extensively with Zack Hamilton from Hamilton cams at a GTG a month ago.. he told me he would love to do cams for the 7.3 guys but the heads just don't flow well.

And porting the heads is a definite art.. it would take some time with a flow bench and a big bucket of bondo to figure out how to gain CFM w/out losing port velocity and a whole bunch of other stuff I won't even act like I understand.

In my dealing with the cummins world it's not a perfect deal... Guys use Chinese heads that are poorly cast in hopes that the ports are slightly off which gives the person porting more material to shape. And they still say they bust thru on 1 of 5 heads.

I think a clean up of the ports would be a great addition but without a flow bench I wouldn't be changing anything drastic

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
i just recently found out about the place i'm thinking of, i haven't had a chance to talk to them yet. If they haven't done too many 7.3's then i'm going to call Carson instead and see what porting and intake work that can be done

juniort444e

Reaction score
Who else knows of shops on the east side, Pa area preferably, that ports and polishes. I seen carson, and a friend on here has his done locally. Just curious if there are any others.

shorty2tall

Reaction score
Thanks guys I contacted elite and got a price on porting.
So what kinda parts would a guy need to hit 600hp in a DD and it still be a reliable rig? Would a forged rod block work with studs springs and push rods?
Or would u need better rods and pistons too?
Also what size injectors? 300/200's
What turbo on a H2E mount?

juniort444e

Reaction score
I didnt know Nate did worked on heads. Good to know, he isnt to far from here. I will probably use the same person Haddox is. Just trying to get some options and maybe even see who does what, for what price, and compare quality as well.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
These head suck. Especially the intake ports. With an injector body so large it is hard to get a nice flowing port cast in the head. I cleaned up the exhaust side of my heads when i swapped some engine parts last spring, and did some work on the intake side, there's only so much you can do. It takes forever, the price isn't that out of line.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.