Possible Alternator?

bmwmotorsports

Reaction score
So today I go to my truck to start it and it seems kinda weak on the start. Abs light comes on and goes away but comes back every thirty seconds. Radar wouldn't work and radio kept skipping. When I pulled back in and stopped the radio worked again and radar but when I hit the window button the radar would die again. I let it sit for about 2 hours now it's completely drained.

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
Charge the batteries, check voltage, check voltage after it starts, watch voltage for a couple off minutes as the glow plugs kick off. You should see a increase in voltage. This will just tell you if the alternator is putting out, not necessarily if it is bad or not. How old are the batteries?

These trucks (ficm, injectors) do not like low voltage.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
Without voltage readings its hard to diagnose. Do you have a voltage meter? You said you have a radar detector, it might have a function for it. Sounds like the alternator isn't putting out, but it could also be an electrical issue causing the alternator to not get the signal to charge.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

F-250-Owner

Reaction score
I would bet its the alternator.... I have had a hell of a time with mine... its been fine for about a year now though. your best bet is to charge the batteries, change the alternator and hop the batteries will still hold a charge after being discharged

Latest posts

Members online