possible head gaskets? help please!

KNiel3378

Reaction score
Hey guys,

New to the 6.0 but not new to diesels.

I have a 2004 late model 6.0 that I DO have an egr delete and 4 inch exhaust.

This past week I noticed some coolant puddling under the truck on the passenger side back by the oil pan. After looking through it I noticed that I still have the orange hose on the egr tube. Yes it is deleted. I have ordered the blue hose to fix that.

This week also started with after the truck sitting, it would fire right up, then instantly go into a lope. This would clear up after about 5-7 minutes and run fine. Scanned the truck and had codes for cylinder 2 and 8 glow plugs. Ordered those as well.

Now before I could replace these. I started the truck, instant lope. But never cleared out. No power. Then the lope got worse and then white smoke began pouring out then it died. Was hard to start. Sometimes it wouldn't even crank. The times it would start it would pour smoke then die again. There was some fluid coming out of turbo onto the downpipe which leads me to head gaskets.

I was on my way to work. So I parked it and got a ride. I finally was able to look at it this morning and checked the oil. It was about a quart or 2 higher than before. But it wasn't white or chalky. Coolant didn't seem to have oil in it.

I have to get it towed to my buddies shop. As of right now without digging into it I'm getting prepared for head gaskets. Does anyone have any ideas or something I can look into?

Thanks in advance guys.

mikah215

Reaction score
Bad ficm could cause lope at starts cause it's messing with your injectors and not firing right

03 f250 6in lift 20x14s on 37s 4in straight pipe sct street tune from innovative bulletproof ficm

webb06

Reaction score
I would drain the oil and see if its diesel or coolant that raised the level. If its diesel them I would bet you have an injector hung open or a nozzle split that is filling the cylinder with diesel causing the bad "lope" and white smoke.

I've yet to see a head gasket leak in to a cylinder. The compression would push the coolant out the reservoir rather than coolant get into the cylinder. So if you aren't pushing coolant then I doubt you have a head gasket issue.

KNiel3378

Reaction score
Will an injector test point me to the right one? I'm leaki g coolant pretty steady out of the egr delete little orange hose. So that's the weak link before the degas bottle.

Once I get the truck to where I can work on it I will drain the oil and see.

webb06

Reaction score
Will an injector test point me to the right one? I'm leaki g coolant pretty steady out of the egr delete little orange hose. So that's the weak link before the degas bottle.

Once I get the truck to where I can work on it I will drain the oil and see.

A power balance will for sure. Usually an injector test just does the electrical side which won't help much in some cases. Worth a shot though.

Head gasket will blow coolant out the degas bottle even if its leaking elsewhere but the hose needs fixed regardless so get that done too

KNiel3378

Reaction score
A power balance will for sure. Usually an injector test just does the electrical side which won't help much in some cases. Worth a shot though.

Head gasket will blow coolant out the degas bottle even if its leaking elsewhere but the hose needs fixed regardless so get that done too

Yeah I have the new hose now and will be installing it. And I will add that to the list of to do's to check out.

KNiel3378

Reaction score
Messed with it somewhat this morning. It will fire up and run with the bad lope and white smoke coming up.

Then I noticed oil everywhere on the downpipe coming out of the turbo.

Pulled the oil fill and I'm not getting much blow by or any pressure at all really.

Runs for about a minute then finally dies. Then acts like its locked up or dead batteries then it'll fire up again.

webb06

Reaction score
Messed with it somewhat this morning. It will fire up and run with the bad lope and white smoke coming up.

Then I noticed oil everywhere on the downpipe coming out of the turbo.

Pulled the oil fill and I'm not getting much blow by or any pressure at all really.

Runs for about a minute then finally dies. Then acts like its locked up or dead batteries then it'll fire up again.

I wouldn't run it anymore. Sounds like you have a cracked nozzle that is hydro locking a cylinder and shutting the truck done.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.