Power Steering and Brakes Help Please

Vermonter

Reaction score
So last night I was driving back from school and all of a sudden my brakes didn't stop working but started having some problems. They brake well up until the end where they kind of cut out. So I can slow down but I couldn't lock up my brakes if I wanted to. Then along with this at slow speeds my power steering no longer works. It works fine at anything above like 10mph. The brake issue works at all speeds. I checked the brake and steering lines and fluid levels and they all look fine. Not sure where to go next hoping someone here as had this problem before and could lead me in the right direction.

florida 6.0

Reaction score
Is your powers steering pump noisy ? Can you see the fluid circulating in the reservoir ? You might need a new pump . If its moving the fluid and the pump is quiet you might just need to flush it out and put fresh fluid in the system .

ajfetterman

Reaction score
I had a wheel speed sensor cause that in a Chevy gasser I once had.

Last 7mph the computer detected wheel slip and deployed ABS, causing me to lose the brakes/pedal. Taking out the ABS fuse corrected this issue temporarly until winter and I needed anti lock brakes.

If your fluids and pump sound ok maybe take out the ABS fuse and take a test drive.

Vermonter

Reaction score
Looks like the problem fixed itself which is totally beyond me. I went out and drove it a couple days after it happened and it was still going on but a out twenty minutes into the drive I decided to romp on it and never saw the problem again. Baffles me I am not sure if anyone has an explanation for why both systems would act like that no loud pumps or anything from what I know both systems are independent of each other. So who knew a little WOT would fix the problem.

diesel dane

Reaction score
Looks like the problem fixed itself which is totally beyond me. I went out and drove it a couple days after it happened and it was still going on but a out twenty minutes into the drive I decided to romp on it and never saw the problem again. Baffles me I am not sure if anyone has an explanation for why both systems would act like that no loud pumps or anything from what I know both systems are independent of each other. So who knew a little WOT would fix the problem.

I had this problem with a 01 7.3 on 38" tall tires. I would assume the set ups are similar with the power steering pump. The pump would start to whine (I know you said no noise) when turning and then the brakes would go. Very scary. If you can't stop or steer- bad situation. I wouldn't ignore this situation if I were you. I went through several pumps with the bigger tires. Eventually the last pump worked and I went back to stock sized tires.
Just my 2 cents

Vermonter

Reaction score
It's not that the brakes didn't work it just felt like when I braked I had a trailer behind me that sort of feeling. I am also running stock tires so I don't think that has anything to do with it. But so far I haven't had anything since it went away so who knows what was going on.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.