Priority list

d7es3l

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a 6.0 soon, I have a 7.3 obs now, would it be worth buying a 6.0? What is the best year(s) to look for? And after that, what is the priority of things to fix? Thanks all. I would like to do an EGR delete, so which tuner is needed?

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
SCT only for a 6.0L..... EGR delete... Coolant filtration .... How much u wanting to spend right off the bat? What are you wanting out if it!??

d7es3l

Reaction score
SCT only for a 6.0L..... EGR delete... Coolant filtration .... How much u wanting to spend right off the bat? What are you wanting out if it!??

I am looking I spend whatever it takes to make this engine have 0 issues for the life of the truck. I am going to keep my 7.3 as a DD & I plan on building up the 6.0. Where can I buy an SCT with EGR capabilities? eBay? Thank you.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
First of all, you should know that a built 6.0 can be a fast machine, and its addicting. I try to stay away from buying parts from ebay. When i buy parts and whatnot, i first check our vendor list. To get the 6.0 "bulletproof", your going to need to delete EGR, stud the heads, RESEARCH on here. Day and night, obsess over info on the motor. There is plenty of it. Three main vendors for an SCT, as well as the best tunes in my opinion, will be from gearhead automotive, truck source diesel and innovative performance.

Best year to by? An 06, build two. Hands down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yeehaw

Reaction score
buy one and leave it stock LOL

but really, find a really clean, well maintained, clean history truck, then first thing i would do is a coolant flush, oil cooler and an egr delete. Then just remember they LOVE being maintained, so change oil regularly. And They like being drivin fairly hard and worked hard (not saying floor it to 4 grand constantly) I have owned two '06s now, and both have been pretty damn reliable.

d7es3l

Reaction score
buy one and leave it stock LOL

but really, find a really clean, well maintained, clean history truck, then first thing i would do is a coolant flush, oil cooler and an egr delete. Then just remember they LOVE being maintained, so change oil regularly. And They like being drivin fairly hard and worked hard (not saying floor it to 4 grand constantly) I have owned two '06s now, and both have been pretty damn reliable.

Have you done studs & everything?

06-sixoh

Reaction score
+1 on maintenance. They are truely maintenance queens. They do like to be driven fairly hard on a regular basis. Also, dont idle it a lot. Check engine hours on all the ones you consider buying. Hooking up high idle should be at the top of your list when you buy one.

d7es3l

Reaction score
+1 on maintenance. They are truely maintenance queens. They do like to be driven fairly hard on a regular basis. Also, dont idle it a lot. Check engine hours on all the ones you consider buying. Hooking up high idle should be at the top of your list when you buy one.

Does high idle come with a tune? Or some sort of special mod?

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I dont know if you can program it to do so. My truck will actually idle up a bit, the first time has been started for the day, on its own. If you search "high idle mod" you will see its just as simple as connecting two wires. These super duty pickups come wired from the factory to do this because of the chassis use for ambulances. Remember, you have to have upfitter switches to do so.

d7es3l

Reaction score
I dont know if you can program it to do so. My truck will actually idle up a bit, the first time has been started for the day, on its own. If you search "high idle mod" you will see its just as simple as connecting two wires. These super duty pickups come wired from the factory to do this because of the chassis use for ambulances. Remember, you have to have upfitter switches to do so.

Good to know, I will search for it later. How long should I let these trucks warm up before I start to drive? I let my 7.3 warm up a good 5-7 minutes before I start driving because them HEUI's don't like to be hammered on without warming up! Ha. I know the 6.0's are AHEUI I just am wondering if they're any better on warm up times.

Latest posts

Members online